OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on impellers wanted!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always installed both seals with the lips on the inside (or bearing side)

There is a problem, though: When you put grease in there, the seals hold it inside, but if you keep pumping, you can take the seal off.

I have never liked the idea of placing the rear seal backwards (as to keep water from entering the bearing cage), as I feel that grease will come out easily.

So, when greasing the bearing, I do it carefully. When I see the front seal moving (the rear seal can't be pushed out) I stop. If the seal comes off too much, I loose the greasing plug a bit and push the seal back in.

I believe this is the only design fault in the Berkeley/American jet drive.

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys are right, BUT. . . Reply with quote

El Prosecutor wrote:
You guys are right about the bowl bearing seals, but we were talking about the thrust bearing seals in the suction housing (see item 22):

The guy from AT said to install both of these facing away from the thrust bearing.

BTW, my pump is a Berk 12JC.

Don't grease that one at all Shocked We have an oil bath thrust bearing Very Happy Connected to a reservoir of high shock synthetic gear oil. Kind of circulates oil and runs much cooler than grease. Also don't forget to lube it that way. Just periodically check the oil level in the reservoir. It definitely has the seals in the "right" way.

Sorry about assuming you were talking about the bowl bearing. With all the talk about impellers I just naturally went to the bowl Embarassed

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
AR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
I've seen that set-up, but don't understand how it works. The seal on the front of the pump in that bearing retainer seals around the drive shaft yoke. So what keeps the oil from running out or threw the splines ?

Ditto on the assumption about the bowl bearing.

________

Last edited by AR on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys are right, BUT. . . Reply with quote

SouthIdahoGary wrote:
. . . We have an oil bath thrust bearing connected to a reservoir. . .

Sounds neat. Where do you get one of those, and how much do they cost?
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it made. Basically an aluminum seal housing that then bolts onto the front of the bearing housing that holds the seal. Tap the overall housing that the bearing rides is to be able to plumb it with oil. Rear yoke has a machined outer surface that the seal rides against. Rear yoke is bolted solid to the mainshaft. You have to fabricate a "washer" ( I used steel for strength and made a soft aluminum inner washer also for some "crush" to help with the sealing) that then is gasketed/right stuffed to the inside of the yoke with the bolt going through it to hold the yoke in place and keep the oil from coming out. You then have to rely on a slip joint in the drive shaft to have some play. The rear yoke no longer can move back and forth on the mainshaft. Both flanges are bolted solid to their respective attachment points. I am posting some pictures. It is much easier to "show" than explain......

oil bath thrust-front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.77 KB
 Viewed:  773 Time(s)

oil bath-overview closeup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.17 KB
 Viewed:  776 Time(s)

oil bath-overview closeup.jpg

oil bath thrust-overview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.28 KB
 Viewed:  793 Time(s)

oil bath thrust-overview.jpg

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"

Last edited by SouthIdahoGary on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture in the series above shows the reservoir. It is the squarish aluminum box. (The blue one is water separating fuel filter) You can also sort of see the through bolt that holds the yoke to the shaft.

Two more pictures. Closeups of the seal area. Remember to "click" on the pictures to see them "bigger" and clearer.............

oil bath-seal area closeup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.28 KB
 Viewed:  774 Time(s)

oil bath-seal area closeup.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  66.77 KB
 Viewed:  792 Time(s)

El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Dang, boy! Reply with quote

S.I.G.,

Thanks for posting the pics and explanation, that is quite the setup!
Although it is obviously PhotoShopped. J/K Cool
I would love to see a pic of the rest of your boat sometime.
Today I finished painting my transom adapter, bowl, nozzle, and reverse bucket with silver Hammerite, cut some new bunk boards for my trailer and started carpeting them. My pump is ready to be installed-probably next Saturday, and maybe hit the water Sunday afternoon!!
On the thrust bearing seal deal, I am going to leave 'em the way they are and just be careful to keep it greased without blowing out the rear seal.
I appreciate the input from you guys; for one thing it has proved that there is more than one right way of doing some things.
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of action shots on the Salmon. Boat was blue in 2004. Shot is in Blackhawk Rapid. Orange is 2005/2006. Shot in Time Zone. Click on the image for a better/larger rendition.....

Here is a link

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album.jsp?aid=768a5498cf4b548aa5a7

We are Images 2355 and 2356. Just click the thumbnail. Lots of great shots action shots here of everybody in Tight Squeeze. Most of the Tight Squeeze shots were by a 12 year old......

More galleries here

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/gallery.jsp?gid=768a5498ce7c43ee68a6

INTHERAPIDS.jpg
 Description:
In the Rapids at Blackhawk-2004
 Filesize:  79.09 KB
 Viewed:  832 Time(s)

INTHERAPIDS.jpg

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHHhmmmmm-The Time Zone Picture did not seem to attach Shocked on the last post. It was Too big of a file. I'll try again

Sunday3b.jpg
 Description:
Time Zone-2005
 Filesize:  79.63 KB
 Viewed:  835 Time(s)

Sunday3b.jpg

El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Great pics! Reply with quote

More great pics! I think you guys are crazy, but great pics!
I can see from your application why you would go to the extra effort on things like the bearing oil bath. I am going to have to go watch one of those river races sometime, although I am afraid it might draw me in to the addiction. . . .lake boating is bad enough (and expensive enough) for me right now.

...BTW, jumping out of the water like that I am assuming you guys must run some kind of RPM limiter??
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably closest to you would be the race in Hoopa, CA in June. It is a GREAT race. It would be worth your time......pictures are great, but only a mere shadow of what it's like LIVE!

And yes, WE use a rev limiter. Not everyone does however......

DOC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldy thats not like you to not say something. DOC.
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Happy Ending!!! Reply with quote

FINAL REPORT:
Today was the first test run after the rebuild with the American Turbine AA impeller, and everything went GREAT!!
I am sure it isn't quite "apples to apples" since the old Berk A was apparently beginning to fail before I got it, but man does she get up on plane fast now!! It has exceeded my expectations.
It turned out to be a beautiful morning at Ming in spite of predictions of rain, and we were the only boat on the lake for about an hour. I got my cooling valve dialed in (was very surprised at how little it needed to be open to put it in range!) and took a bunch of hole shots on the backside of the lake just for fun. The wife took the helm for a while so that I could check the packings etc., and she was in no hurry to relinquish control Razz
I don't have a GPS or a tachometer (yet), so I can't provide any real objective benchmarks, other than to say performance was noticably better on both ends than it ever was during the few months I had her with the old impeller.
Thanks again to all who contributed their wisdom to this thread, I am VERY pleased with my decision to go with the AA!
[/img]
El Prosecutor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Hammerite paint on bowl Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I painted my bowl etc. with Hammerite. It is cheap, goes on with a brush, flows nicely, and I actually like it. It has a variegated finish that hides flaws and should be easy to touch up if necessary:

Man I can't wait for summer!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: