OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steel hull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Steel hull Reply with quote

Question my neibour just bought a 21 ft steel hulled jet boat it has a berkely pump and a 350 in it for power we went for a rip and this boat gos 56 mph gps reading and gets up on step fairly fast for a heavy boat what we are trying to find out is who made steel hulled boats in alberta and are they or were they common it looks like it is not to old and the previse owner had no idea where it came from thanks any info would be cool

Boomhower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clement boats were steel bottom with aluminum sides. It may be one of those? Any pics?
steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some pix but am haveing a hard time posting them and no this thing is all made out of steel for sure
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see you stuck on a rock bar, forgive me if I turn the other way and put my foot down! Laughing Gotta be twice as heavy as Aluminum?
steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and also what degree hull do you guys think this rig is we picked it up for a song and a dance i mean real cheap might use it for fishing in the athabasca river do you think it will be alright for north sask and athabasca rivers. thanks for all the help we have a few questions Laughing
ss rattler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a registration number in the pics. could you possibly do a search of the registration to obtain that info?
steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last owner registerd it as home built i belive no luck there i heard that marathon built some steel boats in the 1970's the prev owner also said the trailer originaly had mobile home axels under it didnt marthon build some trailers like that in the 70s and 80s Question
Coyotitto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early seventies a guy named Ross Smith built an all steel boat in Reddeer The boat performed very well and as all boats of the day its trailor had mobile home axles. This hull I believe had a aluminum windshield frame.
Hines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyo Ross's boat we named her LEAKY, it had a 351 cleveland with a jaucuzzie pump spelling not my game,was my first trip from red deer to the dam,that boat was sold i believe its around maralake bc.Later.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for curiousity sake.... what does that boat weigh?
steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted this boat off the trailer with my t-300 bobcat with no problems at all it is rated for 3000lbs but can lift abought 4000 before it tips so between 3000 to id say 3800 lbs with no fuel
JR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur 2 wrote:
If I see you stuck on a rock bar, forgive me if I turn the other way and put my foot down! Laughing Gotta be twice as heavy as Aluminum?

When i built my steel hull it was (295 Kgs).. 6mm Delta 3mm outers and 1.5mm sides and top, Plus it was only 4.1 mtr's long...
But i had a hull built ( Alloy) same length and had a 10mm Delta 5mm outers and 3mm sides and top and came in at 260 kg's ... All this is hull only
So in my case the differance between Steel and Alloy is not a lot when you look at the Big Picture...Cheers JR

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that's not alot of differance. And no worries people, I wouldn't leave anyone stuck! Smile
wilsteadt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel is an amazing material. I always thought that if it was discovered now it would be considered a wonder metal. It is significantly stiffer than aluminum and much stronger. Also, it gets stronger with welding not weaker so repairs and seams are not a weak point. It also deals with stress and vibration much much better. Below a certain threshold steel with take abuse infinitely while with aluminum stress is generally cumulative eventually resulting in failure. The major drawbacks to steel is its weight and oxidation. It is heavier per volume but not per unit of strength. Aluminum's lighter weight allows it to be used in lower strength applications while retaining material thickness that adds to its rigidity. Since steel is stiffer for its strength it ends up too thin in low strength applications to maintain rigidity with out creating a tin can effect. So in lower strength applications where rigidity is needed aluminum is able to be used. I am sure that there is an engineer on here who can explain it better but it seems to me that a steel hulled boat could be made to work in our application very well with a comparative weight and strength. You just have to get past the rust.

Matt.
steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilsteadt wrote:
Steel is an amazing material. I always thought that if it was discovered now it would be considered a wonder metal. It is significantly stiffer than aluminum and much stronger. Also, it gets stronger with welding not weaker so repairs and seams are not a weak point. It also deals with stress and vibration much much better. Below a certain threshold steel with take abuse infinitely while with aluminum stress is generally cumulative eventually resulting in failure. The major drawbacks to steel is its weight and oxidation. It is heavier per volume but not per unit of strength. Aluminum's lighter weight allows it to be used in lower strength applications while retaining material thickness that adds to its rigidity. Since steel is stiffer for its strength it ends up too thin in low strength applications to maintain rigidity with out creating a tin can effect. So in lower strength applications where rigidity is needed aluminum is able to be used. I am sure that there is an engineer on here who can explain it better but it seems to me that a steel hulled boat could be made to work in our application very well with a comparative weight and strength. You just have to get past the rust.

Matt.

thanks for the very detailed explanation the boat does actually work very well for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: