OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying something new
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest fear throughout this project still remains, having this thing go over backwards at high speed! Because of that I incorporated a small ramp at the rear of my grate bars and ride plate on my intake, I've now taken that back to the machine shop and had that removed, No doubt I will now have much more lift, it was really stuffing the bow! The first run out I didn't have a gauge installed for my intake pressure so have no idea if I'm loading the pump or not therefore my next run will still be 400-500 RPM short of where it needs to be, not going to start cutting my only impeller until I know where my intake pressure is. Gauge is installed now.
While the intake was being done I took the time to remove my intake manifolds and inspect closely inside, happy to find they show no sign at this point of any heat problems. Hope to run again in a couple days.

greg b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry that was inspect exhaust manifolds not intake
greg b

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran the boat 2nd time this weekend, definitely had more lift with the intake change but have close to zero intake pressure, did load the impeller slightly more because I lost 100 RPM (only tuning it 5400 now) from last test but intake gauge was hardly reading most of the time saw it bounce to 10lbs once. Have a bunch of work to do obviously!
Wocket16

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress there. Your manifolds are the bomb! I am pm-ing you Greg.
greg b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran boat third time, change to intake shoe (some call ride plate) was positive, went from essentially zero intake/suction pressure to 24psi so thats good. Still turning only 5400 rpm so would anticipate intake pressure would increase when I get my rpm closer to 6000 where it needs to be. Looking for at least 55 psi and sure I can get there! In my original design of the intake I extended the forward ramp significantly further forward than typical, thinking it would hold the bow down (not go over backwards), I now am convinced I over did that and that is what is stopping the bow from lifting so I'm making pretty major change to that and think it will set the boat free, if I'm wrong have another thought/change planned that I'm confiedent will do the same.
greg b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have ran the boat several times lately, 3 days ago finally, finally got the boat to lift some actually scared the shit out of me LOL! but was only doing 85mph, so really thought I was on the right track, went back to the shop made 2 more intake shoes and ran again was thinking this would really help but hell NO! Lost speed and had zero intake pressure. Have several things to try now and absolutely convinced I will eventually get there and this thing will really fly but only 8 more days before I should leave for Canada! Shit wish I had more time!
Optic Armor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I am sure you will close in on it i got faith in you. I am glad you got the package send me some pics when you get it installed. Thanks Aaron
greg b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of time and not going to make the Canadian Worlds! Truly wish all the race crews the very best of luck and most of all a fun and safe event!
Greg Boice

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad news Greg.....was really looking foward to seeing this thing compete.
greg b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Arthur 2! And thanks to all the other people who have shown genuine interest and support in the project!
Not giving up but not sure what the hell to try next, problem is when when I start to build speed the pump blows out, have tried a dozen shoes, ride plates, spoons, machining changes to the intake, heights, lenghts, etc. etc. etc. even put a huge radius bottom on the boat yesterday with various spoon plates and NOTHING changed! If I hold it in a turn it will hook up and go like hell but the second you try to straighten it blows out big time. Getting serious air SOMEPLACE and can't figure it out, could be the roof I welded in my suction piece but I really have no clue at this point! Every successful racer has been thru all this and I have utmost respect for those who figured it out! So happy to hear there's going to be a race in Idaho, hopefully I'll get it down before then!

eddie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are loading the intake with too much water. Have you tried blocking up the grill with say an inch by inch piece of flat steel welded in to see if that makes a difference?

Keep us up dated on all your developments, it's good stuff!
JR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie wrote:
Sounds like you are loading the intake with too much water. Have you tried blocking up the grill with say an inch by inch piece of flat steel welded in to see if that makes a difference?

Keep us up dated on all your developments, it's good stuff!

I have seen this done here in New Zealand and seam to work very well.... Could be worth a go Greg just tack a bit of flat bar to your grill and go and run it.... Question does you grill have a loader bars in it????? Cheers JR

greg b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie , Jr, thank you, and I think there's a very good chance your exactly right! I have totally had blinders on the entire time (I think). Have had a single track mindset since the first test run, thinking I was getting air and not enough water, every change I have made was to get more water, guess I had the changes figured out because every single time the boats problems got worse, today I ran a stock American Turbine suction piece instead of the one I welded the roof in (attempt to load the top of the impeller), no change! So that's not it! Funny thing is since the begging this thing has had more pressure on the top of the impeller than the bottom, should have told me something huh!
The first time I ran this thing it did 85mph I felt the transom lift and the pump blew out big time! What a dummy should have figured it out right then!
Also tried a loader grate today for first time, guess what, also made it worse big time!
So hear I am, after all this testing and trying to get more water less air, I'm doing a total 180 reversal, I'll be going back to my original bottom and looking to reduce the amount of water, every sign points to it (loads better in turn vs. going straight, etc. etc.) and hope it's right, maybe my original intake was pretty close, shaft angle 3.8 degrees (less than most) shallower, longer forward ramp and different grate configuration.
I hear through the grape vine the fastest Eagle CX boats now find 55-60 lbs. intake pressure is like kicking in second gear for speed and that's what I've been trying to achieve. Thinking now that is totally wrong for my boat, remember my center of gravity is much further forward and maybe just maybe, my boat will run best with just slight positive intake pressure. Anyway it takes a wallet much bigger than mine to continue this forever, so we'll give it a try a see what happens!
Thanks again for the suggestions, it really made me rethink what I'm doing and it makes so much sense for the results I've seen!

Wocket16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep swinging Greg
boosted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the 55-60lbs is corect. Just like hitting second gear and a bout a second later she blows right out of the water. Not drivable at all.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: