OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sbfx questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RED ROOSTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: sbfx questions Reply with quote

I'm on the cusp of buying a sb crate motor for my tunnel. My boat came with a 496ci that puts our around 450hp (i think. spins to 4800rpm @ 95mph). The way I understand the rules this will put me out of the fx class and not in a good place for modified... So I'm thinking I'll detune the 496 a little and put in my tour boat and put a sb in the tunnel. I have a spare impellor, which I was told was cut for sb.
1.What else should I expect to have ot change ?
2.Flywheel or ring gear ?
3.Can I run open headers ?
4.Will I lose a lot of performance if I use wet manifolds so I can install a motor cover so when I spin out I don't sink ?!
5.What should I expect to pay and is there a specific part # ?

Thanks guys, you've been a great help with my questions so far (well most of you anyway... !)
RPM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster , current rules are posted in the 2011 worlds thread in the racing forum .
RED ROOSTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: sbfx Reply with quote

The rule book doesn't say the part # of the crate motor or what I should expect to pay !! The other info was interesting though.
Should I run flywheel or ring gear ?
Thanks
Wocket16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choices come down to weight and weight is speed- headers as opposed to wet exhaust & flex plate instead of a flywheel. Engine performance-wise, zero difference between a flex plate and a flywheel, the exhaust-some maybe 25 hp as a guess.

Here is a link to the ZZ4 at Scoggins-Dickee:http://sdparts.com/details/gm-performance-parts/24502609 for specs. Don't know where you get them in Canada but I am sure someone does.

The first one I bought was USD$3400, they haven't gone up much in 11 years.

The class is great fun, more fun if you have a competitive hull. Cheapest way to go racing for most of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: