OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel economy/ long distance run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOriverbum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: fuel economy/ long distance run? Reply with quote

So some buddies of mine, are wanting to go on a 120mile round trip ride up a local river and back(60 miles one way) these guys all run outboard flat bottom sleds with 250opti jets and a couple with 240 merc sport jets. do you think my 21ft sport delta with ZZ502 and a AA impeler will make this trip on a single tank? I have a 50 gal tank. We are planning just to cruise around 30mph. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Just not sure on fuel economy. Boat runs around 40mph at 3300 and 72 at 5150.
Canadian Turbine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# of gallons you burn per hour x 4. Plus an extra 10 gallons and and a box of beer well hidden. Very Happy .
JET1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im guessing the 502 at 3000rpm burns between 11-13 gallons/hour youll be cutting it really close id take some extra fuel if i were you and keep the RPM in mind while on the trip
JET1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best advise would be to fill it go run it for a half hour up stream at set RPM and half hour down stream at set RPM. fill it on the way home and see how many gallons you burned and average your speed by the distance you went (35miles in an hour)
Velcro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sell it to me and you won't have to worry about that anymore.
rustyzipper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running ZZ502 in race boat for years here in the states, and calculated 2.2 miles per gallon in race situations with running 96 jets in 850 Demon carb.
MOriverbum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys, I think I'm still gonna carry 20 gal of spare fuel under the bow. Hope I dont f-it up, gonna be some stretches of 3-9in deep water for up to 1/2 mile at times before it gets to 3-4 feet again. After all the boat might be sold.
h2orescuemedic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What river and were do you plan on making your run? you coming up by my house near sullivan?

would be cool to meet up again, I looked for your boat at the trout and son boating for buddys poker run.

a trip like that would be fun.

$200 dollars of fuel, for priceless amount of fun make sure you streach it out for a all day trip

Medicine Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a 19ft steptech sport with an AMS 421 SBC stroker motor that was 450 hp and 500 tq. with 4 adults and beer cooler the boat did 138 miles on the upper red deer river on a 35 gallon tank, cruising around 3400 rpm with an A impeller. So your boat is bigger, big block burn more fuel. I'm sure you will make trip with 50 gallons but I would take 10 gallons for insurance.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do your math.........50 gal divided by 10 gal per hour is 5 hours, X 30 mph = 150 miles.......so 10 gal to go 30 mi = 3 mpg.....so 120 mi divided by 3mpg = 40 gal.........so how much does your boat really burn per hour?But with your size of boat, I don't think you can cruise at 30 mph, your rpm will be too low and you will burn more gas by lugging the engine, and not being on full plane...........take extra gas and have FUN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: