OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Controlling boat down fast rapids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Controlling boat down fast rapids Reply with quote

Just curious if any of you have any knowledge on controlling your boat going down some pretty fast moving water?

I was recently on a trip where I went up a creek that had seen a fair bit or rain and was deep enough to run. Going up was the fun part as the boat is easy to controll speed wise against the fast current. Coming down was still fun but had a bit more edge to it. I founf it almost impossible to slow your speed because i had to stay on step due to the shollow spots, large rocks and rock shelves in the river.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks a guy can use?
mountainman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay Alert and keep your ass puckered tight! Shocked Laughing
Little Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's what I think is the only option in this case. Some spots were just wide enough for the boat and a little more and lots of sudden turns which made for an interesting ride. Banked off a few rocks and scared the boat up a bit but thought there might be a few tricks a guy could use.
thanks
tuchodi51

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what works for me is steering with the throttle.i line up so i put the nose on the inside bank,and alot of the time it's a couple of feet on shore,let off the gas just before contact,crank the wheel,hammer the throttle to pivot the boat around the bend.it takes some practice and you will bounce off the bottom a bit but it's got me down some pretty tight nasty creeks.not sure if that makes sense.hard to explain without seeing it.
bender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its tight going try to stay as slow as you can and stay on step anticipate the corners and keep your nose as tight to what you are steering around as possible , goi slow into it but use the throttle to blast you around the corners swinging the ass around carful you dont swing it into stuff though
the throttle is your friend and to much straight speed will take away the effectivness of the throttle steer practice on a calm deep spot and see how you can swing the ass around and move it side to side
sometimes going down stream depending on the corners i stay as tight to the inside as possible sometimes having the boat sideways and turning even before the corner hits like a powerslide on snow with a vehicle

any of that make sense?
tuchodi51

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly.i compare it to drifting but with a boat.
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bender wrote:
if its tight going try to stay as slow as you can and stay on step anticipate the corners and keep your nose as tight to what you are steering around as possible , goi slow into it but use the throttle to blast you around the corners swinging the ass around carful you dont swing it into stuff though
the throttle is your friend and to much straight speed will take away the effectivness of the throttle steer practice on a calm deep spot and see how you can swing the ass around and move it side to side
sometimes going down stream depending on the corners i stay as tight to the inside as possible sometimes having the boat sideways and turning even before the corner hits like a powerslide on snow with a vehicle

any of that make sense?

Very much the same as what I do. My boat has a 6deg bottom, so sliding around corners is something you get used to.

RD
Rivernut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear polarized sunglasses to take the glare off the water, helps for spotting rocks. Go with the flow - aim for the greatest flow and go as fast as you can comfortably depending on your experience / skill level. Running these places in high flow and learning them in progressively lower flows helps a lot.

Little Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply but thanks to all for your tips. I ran the creek a second time but the water im sure dropped another two to three feet since the last time so running it was even more of a challenge the creek looked totally different then the first time. Had to skip over some dry land to get around downed logs. Used some of the advise, need to practise the fish tailing a bit more as I always figure id slam into the mountain wall on the other side. it was a mountian creek so it had some nice shoutes and rocks. Sustained a bit of damage but made it home safe. Not sure ill try it again though, I love my boat to much.

Thanks again for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: