OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

River reading
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: River reading Reply with quote

Hey People, are there any good sites on reading river?

Is someone willing to tell me or should I just put the boat in and pay the price, which I'm sure I'm gonna pay for some day Wink

Looking at the North Sask. and upper (frightening), and lower Red Deer.

Thanks Bunches Smile
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice hire a local I am sure you could get someone from the forum with a few beers to do a ride along Smile
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen any good website about this.

I would recommend that you go to your local bookstore and get:

-A good book on whitewater rafting. Yes, I know that jet boating and paddling are not the same, but the same principles apply when it comes to "reading" the river.

A couple of recommendations are on:
http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2000/2000-reading-water.cfm

-There is a good book about fishing that has a very good couple of pages on river reading, more focused for power boats. The book is for sale on the following link, but you should be able to order from Barnes & Noble:

http://www.pvisuals.com/fishing/bookstore/htmls/rivers_streams.html

I learned how to read doing whitewater rafting and kayaking. You should do a couple of whitewater rafting trips and you will learn a lot more about the water. There is so much to see at 3 mph, as opposed to 50 mph.

That's my two cents.

YKX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: video Reply with quote

or watch Rapid Runner, the jetboat video. Will see what to do and what NOT to do.

YKX
steelheadfreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read about how-to untill your eye bleed, but actually getting out there and expirience is the best teacher. If you think your hull will be dent-free forever your just kidding yourself. Its not a matter of if, its when. Just take your time, watch other boats, ASK QUESTIONS. Fallow someone who knows the channels in new rivers. And I will say again, "ASK QUESTIONS". No such thing as a stupid question.
AR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a couple expensive repairs helps more than anything else with the learning process ! Crying or Very sad Laughing

_______
Gator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most repairs are not that bad, I stuffed my outboard into the rocks last winter, a hammer, crescent and a few bucks and it was good as new. If you sit on the banks you will never learn. Some learn by reading a book, others learn by doing. I prefer a good book just before night time.

Gator
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you do some practicing 3 to 25mph with swift running water shallow enough to see the rocks.Skill building knowing what your boat can do and doing corrections and hazards always be careful of Magnetic attraction if your looking at a rock you will steer right into it.I have almost hit the same rock 2 different times and both times the glare of the sun played into it.I knew it was there the 2nd time I almost hit it at 50mph.
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to read river is to be out on the river,,,,lots. You are planning to boat in some of the best boatin' area around.
Rule 1; Don't take your eyes off the river when moving. Not even to look at your buddy's girl friend. Low laying rocks come up fast.
Rule 2; Drinking ain't good, but if you are going have a beer,,,you know the rest.
Rule 3; Go boating with guys that will teach you. Put some seat time in their boats too.

Any other good rules???
Cavefish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice above, so here's some bad advice:

A. Look as cool as you can at the ramp. Back into the water at about 25 mph. You get extra points if you actually force water over the transom, more points if you blow your tail lights out of the rubber holders. Launch the boat by manually shoving it off the trailer and 'leading' it back to shore with a 50 foot rope. Forget to tie it up, jump in the truck and burn rubber up the ramp. Points for dragging water 20 feet up the ramp with the trailer. This is a sure sign of jetboat coolness and will generate smiles from all watching. Some will have their hands over their mouth and will appear to be choking, the ultimate tribute!

B. When you finally get aboard after swimming out to the boat, start it up and attempt to back upriver using lots of throttle, throwing water all over yourself.

C. Set your lifejacket on the seat and sit on it, whatever you do, DO NOT put it on! Better yet, toss it into the back of the boat. It's not really needed and it's going to blow out of the boat anyway, so might as well get the pesky thing out of the way immediately.

D. When you pass boats fishing, go in real close to them because you know they wouldn't be drifting through shallow spots, now would they? Try to find that throttle setting just before getting on top where you are kind of off plane but are actually creating the largest wake possible. The fishermen love this because it livens up ther otherwise boring day. Stay behind the windshield and low, some of those guys have pretty good arms and can knock a duck out of the air with a beer bottle. If they are throwing full bottles or cans at you, that means you have waked them just the way they like it!

E. Take as many people with you as you can. The weight will hold your boat down and make it more stable. Make sure none of them know anything about boats, rivers and especially jetboats. Know it alls will just distract you from your driving when they try to drag you away from the wheel and the screams of terror get old after a while.

Now here's the juicy part: How to run ANY river-

Rule 1: Drive anywhere you want, this is why you got a jet boat!
Rule 2: If you hit something, don't go there again. This rules supersedes rule 1.

Rule 3. When in doubt ALWAYS drop back to idle. Especially effective where you can distinctly see the bottom of the river or in areas where birds have been observed standing.

Cavefish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above was intended to get a laugh and like most humour is based in truth. I won't say which or how many of the above are MY screwups!

Seriously, try to take a willing operator with you, the right person can put you way up the learning curve. You won't believe the feeling of accomplishment the first time you run a new river and discover you actually can read it. Nothing like it and well worth the effort to learn it.

Gator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot one very important aspect, "when I die I want to go like my buddy, in his sleep, not like the other people in the jet boat who were screaming. " Like a lot of boaters out there I am not real experienced in reading the river and when I am on new water I like to take it slow with just enough speed to keep me out of really bad trouble in the questionable water. I go look it over and pick a route. If possible I will watch another boater and try to follow his trail. The one main problem with this aspect is that you can, and I did, get into worse trouble by going to slow. I have also made the mistake of dropping off step without looking at my depth indicator. I know I can handle a foot of water with no problem, but I dropped off step over a sand bar and it was like hitting the brakes really hard. I had my wife and father with me, dad stayed silent but my wife did not. Needless to say by the time I got off the sand bar I had come close to smoking my engine, having a really nasty tiff with the wife and having to wait out the tides. So watch your water and if need be use a second set of eyes for your depth, and don't' panic Rolling Eyes .
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing LOL Thanks guys for the info and I will take most of it to heart.

I really got some good advice from you all and I do appreciate it.

I have run the North sask, Red Deer upper and lower all the way down to Drum., The Brasseu (spelling?) The Frazer, and the Little Red Deer! Speaking of the Little Red Deer, Does running it almost at night, with Fred Krunyk at the helm count?

Iv'e Run a lot of river with some of the boys who started the River boating In Red Deer A fellow who taught me a lot and who I respect a lot was a man that went by the handle RAT 11 two.

Now having said all this I really have never been at the helm but I have been through a few windshields Wink

Now, I have purchased a rather large gravel crusher from a man who builds them. Les, enough said.

This boat is by far no speed demon but should run some shallow water, as well as some lakes for fishing.

I love river boating and plan do do a lot of it this summer(if we get any).

Again thank you for your input. I consider myself very lucky to have people like you on this very informative web site. I hope we cross paths on the river some day!
sandman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the one very important inspection and testing rule:
Leave all drain plugs out so that you can test the bilge pump operation as well as giving the ring gear a good washing. Extra points are awarded to the ones that have to pump for 1/2 hour before being able to move. Awards also given for completely submerging the battery.
In order to look real cool, make sure you equip your boat with no more than 1/8" rope.
And for gods sake, only run one battery!!

MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about for getting to attach the chain have the cable break shot the boat off the trailer then knowing full well that you forgot the drain plug run back to put the thing in only to slip on the ramp landing flat on your ass soaking your shirt and pants. Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: