OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More horse power!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: More horse power!!!!! Reply with quote

Is there anything that you can do to boost a 350? Chips, super chargers, ect.... I'm just having a hard time with the marine motor to finds things.
Thanks

Cavefish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of things you can do! Which 350 is it> Carb, MPI, TBI? What's the current HP rating?
riverhound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 350 PFI. I think the horse power is 330
Cavefish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on Sallee-Chevrolet

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/Ram_Jet_350.html

and if I have it right, this is a 2-bolt engine with Vortec heads and the tall, sorta-50's looking, fuel injection intake. It has the good powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons. The ECU is a special programmed unit also by GM. It will run in either open or closed loop mode, my guess is that it is running in open loop in a boat (no O2 sensor). If this is a motor marinized by Kodiak, they are the first place I would try if you haven't already. I talked to them several years ago about a TBI setup of theirs and they had the equipment to re-program the computer, they might not have a hot program for it but I'll bet they know someone who does. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator will let you do the equivalent of minor jet changes.
With those Vortec heads you have the basics for a good solid 400 hp motor there, but it will take a cam change, and the heads will need minor machine work to use much more cam than you have. They need the tops of the valve guides cut down to make room for more lift and they'll need screw in studs.
You can bump the compression ratio easily by switching to a .026 steel shim head gasket, this will get you to about 9.8:1 or so. If you are willing to run a little race gas with your pump gas a .015 gasket will get you just at or slightly over 10:1. The fuel injection likely includes a knock sensor/timing retard setup, it would be a squarish 1 1/2 across door knob looking thing in one of the drain holes in the lower center of one side of the block or the other.
A chip or reprogram might gain you 20 hp, but I am guessing a lot less on this motor. Supercharger? I don't know, but this sounds like a quick way to horsepower, just not sure if the pistons are up to it.

riverhound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give them a call
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: