OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 525 hp EFI motor from GM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALEX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: New 525 hp EFI motor from GM Reply with quote

Chevrolet is releasing a new LS motor .....525 HP EFI ....376 CID or 6.2 L

Basically it looks like they took the old 480 hp motor and added the ct 525 camshaft
hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: new chevy engine Reply with quote

How many payola's Alex.All aluminum I hope.
ALEX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all aluminum ....same as the regular LS3

Should come in at about 7500.00 plus control unit

Requires O2 sensors so dry exhaust

GM had it on display at SEMA show
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the weight compared to a regular marine V8.
boosted

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ct525 in race trim with carb,starter and exhaust comes in 447 lbs. I would imagine that the new engine would be pretty close to the same.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone currently running EFI (the LS376/480) or is it all carbs (CT525 or LS376/515) in CX??
"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
boosted

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one that I know of was Dale in the first exibition season he ran a ls376/480 with a different cam and a little head work. As a rule the carbed engines tend to make a little more hp and a little less tq than the fi engines mainly because of long runner intakes on the fi engines.

WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now, the opinion of the UIM River Rules work group is that CX should be limited to carburetor engines only.

If you have an opinion, now is the time to voice it!!

Cheers

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this (carb vs EFI) still even open for discussion?? It was my understanding that it had already been determined as carb only in CX and FX.
"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Alumaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t boat today, so I will wade into this discussion;

For FX the only option is carb as the rules state the ZZ4 part number which makes it very specific.

For CX in 2011 the rules allowed for any of the LS3 based motors, 480 to 525. The 2011 rules also allowed the fuel injected engine provided it remained stock.

At the UIM post worlds meeting in Whitecourt, nor in the minutes from the UIM meeting in Abu Dhabi , was it mentioned about any changes to the CX rules other than the removal of limitation for carb size.

Andrés, you are far more involved in the inner circle of rule makers and hearing the input from the other countries than I, but I don’t understand the logic of wanting CX to be a carb only crate engine class?

I’m guessing because it’s difficult to obtain these different engine variations outside of North America. But my crystal ball tells me that GMPP will continue to move towards these “greener” engines that more closely resemble the engines in the new model vehicles they are trying to sell.

Also, its being discussed that the new, (or rebranded) LS376/525 does not fit within the current LS3 480 to 525 engines? (my opinion it does). Inclusion for 2012 may not be reasonable, but for future years the idea of a “no carb tuning” engine will have great merit to some racers.

Gary, do you foresee having the allowed LS3 engine part numbers stated in the advance program? As the new 2012 UIM book won’t even be in print until after your 2012 race is over.

cheers
Smile
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We" are still seeking some clarification, but I was forwarded an e-mail from a UIM official that actually stated one of the 3 or 4 "minor changes which I recommend you include" in the Advance Programme was "Only Carbureted Engines are allowed in the FX and CX Classes".

In the Advance we will include the "minor changes which I recommend you include" and for sure the part #'s of the CX allowed engines.

From what I have been led to believe that would allow the 19171225 now superseded with 19244552 (LS376/515 carb engine) and the 19271821 (CT525) as the top of the heap allowed motors from GM.

The injected LS376/480 (19171224 now superseded with 19244549) and the "new" injected LS376/525 (basically the 480 with the ASA Hot Cam (#12480110) that the LS376/515 and the CT525 now have) would not seem to be supported in 2012.

Oh, the woes of engine restricted class racing (and the accompanying furor). You end up having to tweek every year with more and more "info" to keep the creative racer in us all at bay.

This thread could now get "interesting"................

WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

The only "logic" behind limiting to carburetor only is ease of enforcement and somehow trying to avoid differences in engines for a same class.

And yes, this engine is being updated and reviewed by GM far more frequently than the zz4, so a list with the "approved" GM part numbers for the models allowed will have to be reviewed every year.

I haven't made up my mind yet regarding the carburetor vs fuel injection issue. As far as I remember, we had both types racing in Canada this year. I don't remember if Tim Greber (1st) was using carb or EFI; I do remember that Frank Murray (2nd) was using carb. I don't recall what the 3rd place was using. Some feedback here would help a lot.

Merry Christmas

boosted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st forth ran carbs in the worlds in Canada. I think Tim ran a 1050 and the rest of us were running 750's. I actually don't think anyone ran an FI in the worlds this last year.

SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody I have talked to, so far, said the dyno favors carbs (so much of Jet River Racing is WOT, which, at his juncture in time, a carb tends to favor)......but I personally think it would be a disservice to legislate to continue down the "old school" road of carbs forever. Where is the innovation in that? In almost everything else EFI is moving to the front. The auto makers definitely are not doing too much R&D in the non-EFI field. All their talents and resources are EFI and their engine design efforts are centered around EFI.

That being said, the computer control for EFI could pose challenges in trying to monitor and police the "crate, don't / can't modify anything-" concept. "There's power in them thar black boxes" AND their aftermarket counterparts.

Tough choices going forward for CX.

FX would seem logical to restrict to stock GM carb intake that comes with the motor AND carburetor. Not so much for CX going forward??

With the equipment already in place in the CX field, at this juncture and within < 120 days until racing, I tend to favor "carbs only" for the 2012 Worlds.

The Real Deal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even NASCAR is going EFI next year, will be interesting to see how that is monitored and what restrictions they use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: