OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trim Tabs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TR Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Trim Tabs Reply with quote

Has anyone had experance with trim tabs. Had the boat out on the week end. Had 5 1/2 people in the boat and full tank of fuel. Water was choppy. Even with the Place diverter trimed all the way down could not get the boat to stop bouncing. Even with only myself it the boat at high speed when I start to trim up will start to bounce out of control. Have to back out of it and trim down. 17' Sport ^ 6.0L. I have order a set of hydrolic trim tabs. Also was told if I added a ride plate under the pump would help. Any thought on this.

Trim Tab.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4 KB
 Viewed:  26932 Time(s)

Trim Tab.jpg

TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen Karey Crawford's race boat and Paddy Stratton's using very simmilar tabs and they seem to work for them.

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the trim tabs on the race boats are just to get on plane but I may be mistaken. Most of the offshore boats run trim tabs and there are some companies out there making some very nice looking trim tabs, all hydraulic and billet but they are very expensive, well over $1,000. I'm certainly no set up expert but it sounds like something is wrong with your set up. Intake set wrong, too little/too much wedge, needs a ride plate, or maybe it just needs to be flipped over and reworked a little (concave or covex in the wrong spot).......? I have no idea how experienced a boater you are but maybe you have a pretty shallow 'V' hull and you are expecting a little too much out of it in rough water. Take a GPS out with you for some speed runs and you may find out that fully trimmed out is slower than just having your divereter up a little. Some boats don't like a lot of trim and will start to ride rough. Some people assume since a little trim is good, then a lot is better, but the GPS tells no tales. Give the forum another week or so and most of the regulars will be over here. One of the smart guys will get you headed down the right path-Aluminum Squirt
TR Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17' Sport GPS at 55 MPH rides ok but any thing faster and it starts to bounce. As I trim up place diverter speed increase. The fast as I got it going so far is 68MPH and have to back out of it because start to bounce so bad starts to grab air. Bounce starts out slow and once it starts keeps getting worth till you have to back out of it and trim down. Even in smooth water. I am going to install a 4 degree wedge and change my impellor to a AA. I have order a set of trim tabs $1300.00 so hope they help. I was told by someone that short 17' Boat harder to stop bouncing than a longer boat. Trim tabs should help.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old woody bounmced like mad and it was sorta as you describe, nothing seemed to tame it very well, even after getting trim.
I belive as far as I understand the rideplate will be the best cure. On my old hull I think the endless cycle of lifting the bow and then starving the pump till it drops only to do it all again was the real issue. I can envision a ride plate stopping the bow from rising so far the intake starves. it basically gives a neutral position for the hull to ride while keeping the pump happy. I could be wrong but trim tabs seem to be an excessive drag solution to correcting a hull attitude problem. They may likely work but I would do the rideplate first. Always wished I had on my old hull, I bleive a setback pump also has a huge effect on this problem as the intake becomes the point at which the hull pivots and prevents the starving problem
just my 0.02
Cheers

Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against the trim tabs because I think it would be nice to have the added level of control but I'm not confident in their ability to fix your problem without scrubbing off a bunch of speed. The racers use them to get on plane and then I think they pull them up off the water. The offshore guys use them to balance an un-balanced boat or to make corrections when running into/with quartering seas. Additionally they will be pretty vulnearable to rock damage if you drive the shallows. The wedge may also be counter productive as all its going to do is just what your place diveretr does, just more of it and not adjustable, unless of course you wedge down, but those GPS numbers seem to show that you are going to lose a bunch of speed with anymore down nozzle. I'm running a 15' boat at similar speeds and don't have the bounce problem. My hull has been pretty easy to set up, I took off the place diverter and went with a steel nozzle and I've never had to make any adjustments for a good ride, although I'm sure there is some hidden speed in my set up some where, I just have to find it. I have a ride plate but I've never messed with it so I can't comment on it too much, obviously it works at least a little. I'd try a ride plate before the trim tabs, that way you can send the tabs back if you get the problem fixed and spend that money on beer/gas. Find a good set up guy close to you and take him for a ride, that should give you a good idea on where to start before dropping over a grand on tabs that may or may not help. Also take a long straight edge to the bottom of your hull and see if you have any extreme amounts of hook or rocker in the hull on about the rear 2-3' of hull. The glass boat guys are way into blueprinting their hulls with significant speed increases. I've always been a little skeptical because we usually bounce our boats off so many rocks that a pretty blue printing job may be gone in an instant, but if something wasn't welded up just right you may have a hull with a big rocker in it on the running surface. Good luck-Aluminum Squirt
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot one thing. I don't think an impeller change is going to change much. It will obviously change your speed vs. RPM's but I don't think it will improve the ride at all. If you are trying to change your cruise speed or top end around or you just added a bunch of horsepower you may want to change it, but it shouldn't affect the ride. Again, I'n no pump expert but AA seems a little big for the speeds you are at right now. Hopefully somebody smart will come along and save me from looking like a complete idiot here soon. Can I get some help here from you guys that actually race fast boats?-Aluminum Squirt
TR Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice every little bit helps. I need to change my impellor added a lot more HP this year. running it about 4950 RPM now, think with a AA it will drop me back down to 4400 RPM @375HPhoping. when I am cruising 4100 RPM to 4950 RPM only 4 MPH increase. I am thinking that the impellor is loosing it efficancy or my Intake could use some work. Also spins out if I gooser to hard I have to ease into it.
Dano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy Stratton has trim tabs on his Kwik Craft and he goes pretty fast.

I have trims on my family boat and I've tagged bottom numerous times now and have not damaged the trims. I don't know why they wouldn't be worth a try.

DOC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 17' sport and it does exactly the same thing at about 70 mph. Outlaw put some small tabs on it and if you put them down far enough to keep it from hopping it slows it down to where it wasnt hopping anyway. I think its a grate, intake problem. I havent had time to change anything this year, to busy fixing motor in race boat.
DOC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 17' sport and it does exactly the same thing at about 70 mph. Outlaw put some small tabs on it and if you put them down far enough to keep it from hopping it slows it down to where it wasnt hopping anyway. I think its a grate, intake problem. I havent had time to change anything this year, to busy fixing motor in race boat.
G-force

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking of welding some small tabs at the end of the tunnels but place them up above the running surface by about 1". my hope was this would help launch control without altering the planing characteristics or getting in the way. any thoughts on this?

didnt mean to hijack you TR! please post pics of the sport. you need to find out the problem with your hull because i am sure its got hidden talents if its an Eagle! (blatant brown nosing)
G-force

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this one in a recent post. great photo. the guy in the back doesnt look like he thinks its very funny.

http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/canada_c_131.jpg
YKX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: trim tabs Reply with quote

look at the oil pump question and look for the pic. That is the setup for my boat. The guys I bought it from (eagle owner) in 98 was a genious! He used a car window motor and hooked it up backwards with a gear that would go up and down to the tabs. I was impressed!
Anyway, they work great! I use them to get out of the hole, stay on step with low rpms and get rid of the bounce when I got too much muchers wanting a ride ( the kind that want the ride, but wont pay for the gas) kind.

Works for me, but was still thinking of getting a rideplate too.

My 2 cents. one more cent, get the tabs. go to an online.

YKX
Thirsty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TR Blue, I am working in Tumbler Ridge, staying in a Well Site unit at the camp grounds were the big Shanco camp is, I have my 19 foot sport here and I used to own a 12.5 ft with a ZZ3 in it, this shorty had some bounce, but I used trim tabs to control it. Drop by and we'll shoot the Sh---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: