OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FX class rules specific to the ZZ4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaxbySpeed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: FX class rules specific to the ZZ4 Reply with quote

Are there any more specific rules/regs for the zz4 engine used in FX class? The UIM rules are not very detailed. What, if any, is the testing procedure for engines to determine if they're legal? I've looked all over and can't find anything, figured this would be a good place to ask. Thanks, Alex
Tech Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and most importantly rule regarding the ZZ4 is that the engine must be a crate engine with absolutlely 0(zero) modifications, including no port matching or polishing of the intake. All numbers must be matching to factory numbers. When ever I did an after race inspection, compression of cylinders and bore scoping of the intake were my main focuses. We'll see this year. Wink Laughing
HaxbySpeed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Do you know if there is a written set of rules anywhere?
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help or if it's still relevant.....

http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614&highlight=zz4+refresh
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 rules
http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4916-205775-222998-175752-0-file,00.pdf

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
HaxbySpeed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur wrote:
Not sure if this will help or if it's still relevant.....

http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614&highlight=zz4+refresh

I don't think those apply anymore. All I can find in the UIM rules is no overbore or displacement increase, and they have the CC's listed incorrectly at 5400, it should be 5735. Also, no porting, matching, etc. As this would leave a ton of stuff open I figured there must be a more detailed list of what you can't do. I apologize for asking the same question over and over, I just want to be clear on the requirements for a couple of engines I'm doing. Thanks, Alex
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boosted wrote:
2012 rules
http://www.uimpowerboating.com/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4916-205775-222998-175752-0-file,00.pdf

It, the inspection process, starts with page 386.

If anyone official suspects illegality, or if it is protested, it can then be required to be disassembled and then measured. Micrometers, CCing equipment, Visual inspection to verify GM parts and that no grinding or machining that is not allowed has been done. All disassemble, reassemble, gaskets etc -owners expense.

Here is what GM puts in them for parts-anybody else's parts are a no go.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/installation_guides/small_blocks/zz4-350/ZZ4_Long_Block.pdf

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/installation_guides/small_blocks/zz4-350/ZZ4-FB385_Engine_Partial.pdf

Ignore the part #'s for oversize pistons-no overbore is allowed.

12556463 cylinder head-untouched.

You can change the sheet metal, ignition and sparkplugs.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Tech Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthIdahoGary wrote:
boosted wrote:
2012 rules

If anyone official suspects illegality, or if it is protested, it can then be required to be disassembled and then measured. Micrometers, CCing equipment, Visual inspection to verify GM parts and that no grinding or machining that is not allowed has been done. All disassemble, reassemble, gaskets etc -owners expense.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/installation_guides/small_blocks/zz4-350/ZZ4_Long_Block.pdf

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/installation_guides/small_blocks/zz4-350/ZZ4-FB385_Engine_Partial.pdf

Ignore the part #'s for oversize pistons-no overbore is allowed.

12556463 cylinder head-untouched.

You can change the sheet metal, ignition and sparkplugs.

As I said, just a touch more info. Laughing For your info, the FX classes, wether FXV or Tunnel, are always so close in speed that if somebody is way out front of the pack EVERYBODY starts wondering. Idea Just my 2 cents.

HaxbySpeed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthIdahoGary wrote:
boosted wrote:
2012 rules

But what are they measuring? Where are the specs? How is an engine determined illegal? Looking in the ports? That leaves a LOT of stuff on the table. There was a bit of grumbling after last years worlds about "legal" 390hp engines, I think if the rules are left as vague as they appear then it's only going to get worse. Surely there must be a sheet somewhere with a bunch of spec's and dimensions on it that these engines must comply with? If not I think you guys need it or there's going to be 400+hp "legal" engines showing up soon. I'm not trying to be a dik, I'm just surprised there isn't more control over a crate engine class. Maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet. Thanks for all the responses guys and if you find anything let me know. Cheers, Alex
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until recently it has not been much of an issue. The class is now getting pretty big and yes it may attract these types of people. I know other forms of racing have big issues with cheating competetors. many things have been discussed although in the spirit of keeping things simple and affordable a solution has not been found to date.

Nominal engine specs are listed by GM. As far as port dimensions,valve job specifics,valve train dimensions,etc. Its is not specified. Yes there is room to cheat in there if someone wants to go that way. One thing is for sure when ever you have a motor involved someone will want to cheat. There was some talk about going to a sealed engine program (not that guys can't find a way around that also). The one thing we don't want is a 150 page book explaining every specdification for that particular engine to make it legal. It would be much easier to go the sealed crate class engine.

I can tell you. In the past some of the tech guys are pretty sharp and can spot things that a person might think they wouldn't.

In the end as it is wriiten there is room to cheat. Not to push the grey areas really as the spirit of the rules are clear but if some guy wants to cheat, they will. In the end I don't get what the point of it is, There is really no money to win and most guys do it for the thrill of the race. If you win a race cheating and win no extra money to speak of isn't an empty win?

HaxbySpeed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go into a sealed engine you are cheating, there is no grey area. If you modify an engine within the confines of the rules you are not cheating, you are racing. It's no different then tweaking your intake, impeller, nozzle, etc. From what I see there are a lot of areas that can be modified as long as you don't change the few things that are listed in the rules. I haven't seen a written rule anywhere that says you aren't allowed to change "anything" in the engine. Clearly if you can buy a "legal" engine that's been modified then some modifications are presently "legal". If there isn't a rule prohibiting it, there is no grey area, it's up for grabs. I understand that most of you would like them all to be left untouched but unless you run a sealed engine program or create some new rules it simply won't happen, and at the end of the day it is racing not cruising. Competitive guys will always look for an advantage. The reason I'm looking for rules is to make sure I don't step out of bounds. I'm happy to work within the rules to gain an advantage and am not interested in cheating. Thanks again for the input, Alex
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the the grey area. What is within the confines of the rules. You say that if it's not written not to do then it's ok to do. That has not been the case in the past. The spirit of the rules are clear the specifics of the rules are not. Without a sealed engine requirement or a large multi page document I don't think it will get specific.

Also in order to protest a ruling it costs money and time. Then if you appeal that ruling which tends to go the way of the spirit of the rule (don't ask why I know that) it goes to the UIM in Europe and costs a crap more money.

I'm all for being competitive but I feel internal engine mods should be left to the mod classes. The actual boat is another thing. It is something that was biult from the grd up to start with being able modify it only helps in the advancement of technology.

These are just my experiences and as I don't race FX at this time so I am somewhat unbiased although I do believe that the same rules apply to CX class. The only reason that the CX class is not a sealed class is that it would not let any of the Ford or Dodge engine compete.

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a ford or dodge engine yet?
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gelnn Freeland tried a Ford 374W last year but had an oil cooler issue that filled the motor with river water and she blew up.

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, be interesting to see if the other 's can reach the speeds of the Chevy. Thanks Boosted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: