OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

351 redline fuel pump issue???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tech Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: 351 redline fuel pump issue??? Reply with quote

I was out on the water tonight and everything was running good. On the way back to the launch it was like I ran out of gas. Restarted the boat and carried on then it happened again shortly after. Removed the air cleaner and manually pumped it to check for fuel but had absolutely nothing there. Got towed to the launch figuring my fuel pump shit it's pants. When I got home I pulled fuel filter off, expecting it to be empty and found it full. Hit the buterflies and had gas again. Tried starting it again and ran like a dream in the driveway. Go figure????

My question is, can a mechanical fuel pump get hot, stop pumping and when it cools down start pumping?

Oh, holley 4150(no sight glass in bowls).

Cheers

Keep'r Wet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issues with my 350 Kodiak. It's driving me crazy why it's doing that. Let it sit for a while floating and then it's good again. WTF?
REPO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as it dies, have you checked the carb to see if there is fuel squiriting in there when you actuat the throttle?

Almost sounds like an ignitin coil or something getting hot and quitting. Possibly the ignition module depending on your system?
BLOWN INCOME

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a plugged vent to tank causing fuel to shut down to pump...but i would put my money on the fuel pump..they can get weaker as they age..do a pressure test(5-7)lbs and a volume test (half liter in about 10 seconds run time..or just change it out..moneys on the fuel pump being pooched
Tech Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys.

Yes I did check for fuel at the carb right away and had nothing squirting in. I'm ruling out the floats in the carb and I just picked up a Holley 12V pump and regulator that I'm going to plumb in and get rid of the mechanical one with a block off plate.

Try and find a new fuel pressure gauge in Peace River....near impossible! Thank god I have good buddies who have lots of spare ones.

Cheers, I'll let you know how it works this weekend.

ALEX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be experiencing vapor lock ....the fuel we get today is blended for efi/emmisions

The electric fuel pump should help

Also check your anti siphon valve on the tank ...if there is one there
Tech Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALEX wrote:
You may be experiencing vapor lock ....the fuel we get today is blended for efi/emmisions

The electric fuel pump should help

Also check your anti siphon valve on the tank ...if there is one there

I've heard this a few times now and from a couple of long term ford techs. They said the pump to carb fuel line is routed too close to the block and may cause the vapor lock. I figure while I'm in there, I may as well install the electric pump and new fuel lines(rerouted).

shallowman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

check on the heading above i wrote there to u about gas troubles i once had
shallowman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

shallowman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

Tech Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep'r Wet wrote:
I'm having the same issues with my 350 Kodiak. It's driving me crazy why it's doing that. Let it sit for a while floating and then it's good again. WTF?

Have you installed an inline fuel/water seperator recently before the pump? I finally got it figured out yesterday. Heres how.....

Installed an inline see-through fuel filter between the pump and carb. Noticed that at full throttle the gas would eventually get less and less in the filter. A ha! Deffinetly a fuel supply issue. Seeing I already replaced the pump with a brand new Holley 110 gal/hr mechanical pump not an electric as i was told it would not suck fuel and has to be gravity fed. It has to be before the pump.
I bypassed the fuel/water separator and it runs perfect...no issues. My thought is the pump hasn't got enough suction to pull through the filter and supply the engine with what it needs at 3/4 - full throttle.
What are guys thoughts on this theory?

Cheers,
Troy

REPO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you plumb it to push the fuel out of the pump and into the filter/seperator, then to the carb?
Tech Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REPO wrote:
Could you plumb it to push the fuel out of the pump and into the filter/seperator, then to the carb?

I could but I'd wonder about the volume of gas delivered to the carb after having to go through the filter. What I was thinking is to plumb a Carter electric pump as well to act as a pusher to help the mechanical pump.

Keep'r Wet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electric fuel pump already, but I do have the fuel/water filter upstream of the fuel pump and an inline filter downstream of the pump before the carb.
I got into some rough water on the Mackenzie River last weekend and about every 2 km's it would lose power and I would have to shut it down for a few minutes and then go again. Definately much worse when the tank is about half full and in rough water.
The next day it ran perfectly for about 40 kms.
Question Question Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: