OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loose universal joints, again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rivernut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Loose universal joints, again Reply with quote

I have an Eagle 20' aluminum with an American Turbine SD-309 powered by a Chevy Vortec 350. The driveshaft has a little rotational slack in it and has a little more vibration than normal. I've had this happen before. The geometry looks okay. I'm going to replace the U-joints before it grenades (been there, done that). The U-joints it came with and that I've always used are ones with grease fittings. The grease fittings are difficult to impossible to get at with a grease gun through the service hole in the bell housing. I use Mobil1 grease. The current U-joints were installed about 4 years ago (maybe 200 hours of use) into the "H-bar". Do the non-serviceable U-joints last any longer? How long do U-joints usually last kn a V-8 jet boat? How often should they be greased? Is there a "best" brand such as Spicer?

herrhauptman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: u joints Reply with quote

One thing about u joints which I have found to be true is that the cheaper the u joint the less life you will get out of it. The more espensive ones are better, and we actually checked this once by doing some hardness testing. The more costly parts have a substantially higher surface hardness. As with most things, you get what you pay for. It is also important to pay attention to assembly. You want the u joints to be free to move, just like they did when the drive was new new. If they are assembled and are to tight, (because of a squeezed or distorted yoke) service life will be reduced
Rivernut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is "better" in a jet boat, U-joints with grease fittings or sealed ones?

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease zerk U-joints would be better IMO. Anything you can service will last longer.
rlnah2285

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with spicer or precision U joints. Napa carries precision line, seems to last ok. Greaseable is a better option as that driveline is always moving. Also, a good quality grease is key to making them live too. Use a decent NLGI 2 spec grease (Like Esso or Shell). Just my two cents... Also to agree with previous post, care with dissasembly and reassembly is key to helping them live. Just my two cents...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: