OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cx class
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tknz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: cx class Reply with quote

hi, new to forums. looking at the cx class in nz, with a 21ft eagle tunnel, i want to know if any one is racing with the s374w ford engine and how it goes? i see its 13kg hevier than the ct 525, does that extra weight make much difference, i also heard that its more reliable and can handle more stress?

thanks tom
sandman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tknz,
There was one 374w racing in the 2011 worlds in Canada with Glen Freeland at the helm, but he had some oil cooler issues and didn't make a fair run of it. Would have been good to get a decent comparo for CX, but nagging issues plagued that crew.
There was only 1 other non-chevy engine seen in CX, a 392 ford was entered locally approx 3 years ago in the Raven Mad boat, and was run again this summer by the new owner, it was a little down on power, rated around 490 horse I believe, and around 140kg's heavier than a CT525. In very capable hands it was competitive in tight racing but seemed to drop off on the longer flat out legs like we get here.
This summer, the new owners in the Shake and Bake boat ran the 392 in Peace River in their first race, but changed it out to a CT525 for Whitecourt.

tknz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a ford fan so was hoping for some good news, seems the ct 525 is had to look past, are there many guys changing to ditributors and bigger oil pans? are the running heat exchangers or raw water set ups
sandman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few going with distributors, most are staying with the Stock MSD ignition though. They seem to be a lot more reliable than some of the MSD products used in other classes in the past.
As for bigger oil pans, I cant say much about that, the CT has a decent pan already.
Fresh water cooling seems to be the norm although the one EFI CT525 does run an exchanger.
Not certain about all the teams though, some may run things a little different.
The system I have been around is as simple as it gets, I control block pressure through a gate valve, higher pressure = lower temp, 17psi = 155-160 deg. F
No pumps, pulleys, belts or relief valves. Real simple, real reliable! I can control warm up rate as well as cool down rate. I also control oil cooler temps which go a long way toward keeping the engine cool.
Lots of left hand cornering will see the oil temps go up, this requires more oil cooler flow.
Lots of right hand cornering sees the oil pressure start to drop down from 50psi to around 30psi on the 525 due to its oil pan design, a little overfilling helps keep the pressure up around 40psi without too much drawback.

tknz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the best carb to use on the ct? can they run mechanical fuel pumps? is it simple to wire an run the msd needed for the coils?
snoflake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my 525 along side with the shake and bake boat when it had the 392, as well as when he swapped it out to the 525. It definitely ran quicker with the new motor, however the was a more set up done after the 392 was replaced. It was only 5 - 7mph slower downstream. And almost dead even upstream with the 392.
boosted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys are running a Willy's 750 cfm carb. Apparantly dyno tests have shown that the motor does not respond to a larger carb. I am not sure if I beleive that.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
tknz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: cx ct Reply with quote

what are the secrets to running a happy reliable ct525 in a race boat? to start out i think id preferr longer lasting as aposed to running at its peak limited. if there is such ways of setting them up in a sense

tom
boosted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run straight av gas. No more than 28 deg timing. Keep the rpm's down below 6000 rpm.(many guys are running higher without issues but for better reliablity I would). Run them a little rich low 13's high 12's on a wideband. Intial startup is abit of a bugger to get oil pressure if you do it wrong. With the remote cooler and oil filter we have had best luck filling the outlet lines that go back into the engine with oil then turn ing the engine backwards by hand to purge any air out. Then hook it up and crank the engine without sparkplugs until you got oil pressure.

O ya don't sink them. The pistons are hyperuetectic and cannot take the thermal shock. They will let go shortly after.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Hines

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with these crate engines you can run whatever fuel you like?
tknz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sandman, do you have any pics of your cooling system is it on a ct 525?
JetSpeed Marine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tknz if you need some help with setup for CX class give me a call 0220397233 i can get you both CT525 and S374W engines. Cheers, Eric.
sandman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tknz,
Have a chat with Michael and Justin Hill, fellow Kiwis that I have talked to before about cooling system set up on the CT525.
Make sure that your air bleed line off the top of the heads goes overboard to atmosphere.
Some guys have had issues with this line air locking if tied in to an enclosed system, thus not getting the cooling through the heads all the way.

tknz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct525 is on the way, i am looking to run a heat exchanger with it, i have just read the ct525 does not have a thermostat, how can u customise ( raise/lower)engine temps without one?
tom
nakijet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need one of those heavy things, I don't think anyone else is running one.
A Dan Olsen oil cooler is all ya need. Eric can get them direct and knows how to set them up nice and simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: