OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ct525 engine failures in racing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boosted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Ct525 engine failures in racing. Reply with quote

Just thought I would throw a little of what the people who have been telling me about spark plug usage that I thought I understood but apparantly did not know enough.
One of the problems that the ct525's might run into during a endurance race situation is overheating of the sparkplug due to the inccorrect heat range being used. What they come with is a ac delco 41-110. That crosses over to NGK tr55ix. That is almost the hottest plug that NGK makes. No matter what your timing is that plug can glow hot enough to cause preignition and detonation. as we all know the ct525 does not go down quietly and usually yard sales all over the boat making it very difficult to figure out what actually happened. Finding plugs that are the colder for that engine is not real easy but NGK has a tr7ix that seems fairly available. I am still searching for something better but have not had any luck yet. Again this is just my opinion and in the hopes that it can help somone who might have a engine failure not have one. If anyone else has an opinion or knowledge please chime in.

Mark

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more info. these are from a non blown up ct525. Notice the black specs on the porcelin. second pic notice the threads are black for over three turns on the plug. This showing that the heat range is to high and that the engine has been detonating lightly. In the sunlight you can see small bits of alum on the plug from the piston. There is more info on that plug but you get the jist of it.

Picture 575.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.37 KB
 Viewed:  16610 Time(s)

Picture 575.jpg

Picture 574.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.03 KB
 Viewed:  16610 Time(s)

Picture 574.jpg

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Wocket16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is wow and am going to follow this closely. Not that I have a CT525, but am interested in how they can be made to work in a race boat.
Good info!

snoflake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like something has changed in the past year with these engines. the first one I had came with the race boat I bought. it had over 40hrs on it and ran strong. I decided to change it out due to the amount of hrs. My next motor only made 5hrs and spun a bearing. As for the CX boats right now, I think the only boat that has not piled a motor up has 3 race seasons on it.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head

Rick Serhan
Mike Hudon
Darren Cage
Ken Travis
Jeremy Hand
Trapper Woolsey...might have got his going again tho?
Steed boys

I'm not CX or LSX Mark, but I really appreciate the input you give to make this sport less expensive and more reliable.
j-roc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info mark! Thank you!

We got trap running for Sunday in Whitecourt, and everyone else seems to be running well.

And wow, do they ever yard sale into the boat when they go.....
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of all CT 525 engine failures can be traced back to an overly aggressive tune, poor quality fuel or some sort of "Crew" related error. The new LSX454 looks like another incredibly durable engine package if tuned properly. I'm very excited and looking forward to racing it next year in the already existing "A" Class.
eddie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look at changing the rules to allow for the colder plugs as that's what a lot of people do, regardless of the class.
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie wrote:
You could also look at changing the rules to allow for the colder plugs as that's what a lot of people do, regardless of the class.

The plugs are not restricted as they would form part of the ignition system and it has no restrictions.

eddie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISSBHAVEN wrote:
The plugs are not restricted as they would form part of the ignition system and it has no restrictions.

Fair call, I thought it was just the ignition controller that was open as the rest is included in the crate package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: