OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More fuel to the fire. LSX454 vs A-spec
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boosted

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: More fuel to the fire. LSX454 vs A-spec Reply with quote

Well the seasons over and both engines had there ups and downs. Time to get some input on what guys think before the meeting on Sat 14th. I will give you my opinion and you guys can take it away.

I put this over at the Bratt forum but no one is chiming in lets see what happens over here.
The lsx454 performed better than expected and although we did experience some engine trouble we feel that we got that nailed down and winter dyno testing can verify it. Even with that they were not expensive to repair. The LSX454 fits right into A class anyhow and although we may be slighly out gunned in a world event they should hold there own. I see it as a great and natural progression for the fx/cx guys that want to move up without spending the huge money for a new engine and to re rig your boat. I do however beleive that this class is no place for the A-spec engine. The engines seem to run fine and definataly make big power(almost900 hp)but that comes with a pretty hefty price tag that does not work for my racing budget. The motor is really an all out unlimitted engine minus some compression. For those who are ok with that then I think they should be welcome to it but just in there own class.

What we are really looking for here is guys to make the comittment so it can be brought forth at the meeting.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get in on this being this will be one of 2 choices when I move up after the Worlds in Canada. I'm a big fan of Louie and AMS as a builder, but I can not see myself dropping the 26K+ to get into a A-spec.(thats a decent pre-run boat or the cost of a turbine) I like seeing him at every race and all the support he gives every team when approached, but it makes more sense to me to have the LSX engine. The crates are proving to be great and availability is almost in every town with maybe a week wait tops. Plus if you're smart enough you can get GM warranty if you play your cards right. Now I don't know Louie's schedule and what the turn around would be if he was flat out, but I'm assuming it's over a week if you needed a tear down or rebuild.(I'm sure he would make time if it was race week) The numbers we were looking for was 120mph and you are not that far off. I don't think the extra money or city trips is worth 5-10 more mph IMO. But that's just my thinking. Dale's boat was the best looking and sounding boat when it ran and I'm sure with time he will see a great handling 120mph+ boat. I would be curious to see two estimates coming from OE or Bratt on brand new 21' rig outs. I know they just did a CX from scratch, but cannot remember the numbers. 2 cents
Dale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important thing we have to do when we are changing rules is to make the changes to be “what is right for the sport”. Meaning that we should not make a change to be what is best for racing in Canada or what is best for me. That being said my thought a year ago was to save A class form the chopping block of the UIM and the Canadian series. A class still has a great future in this sport but I don’t believe it will be at the original 470CID. This engine size was picked some 30+ years ago when the only engine block we could build off was the GM454 or the 460 ford. Those days are long gone and so is the need to keep this class this size. Also if we leave the 470CID size in place I can guarantee that we will have $40,000+ LSX motors racing in that class and we have not changed or improved anything.

As Mark stated “hefty price tag that does not work for my racing budget” I would like to remind him that this engine is still $10-15,000 less than the old Unlimited engines and $15-3?,000 less than some of the A class engines that are out there at this time. Which would put it right where an “A” class team should be budgeting? I do believe that to keep CX class alive and well there should be a sizable step up to the next class. Also the Step up is speed has to be sizable.

And a $15-20,000 increase in “cost TO race” between classes isn’t bad. There is still a $50,000 step to get into a turbine boat after “A Spec” class. We have seen a big drop in FX racers this year because of the small increase in cost to step up and race a CX boat.

“Cost OF racing” has to be about the same from A-spec to LSX454 as they seem to be about the same to repair, other than if you have MAJOR damage to your engine. Most likely the A-Spec motors burning Av-gas would be cheaper than pumping the good stuff into the LSX.

I don’t believe that the UIM class makers could be talked into going to the “A spec” style engine, but for Canadian races this is the best way to control the cost, “tech inspecting”, and to keep the power levels the same and the racing tight. As for the UIM class change I thing we could spec a change to the CID with a MAX carburetor size and intake height, leaving the rest open, would be a good place to start? And MAYBE a chance to the “forced Induction Multiplication factor” to allow up to the LSX 376 engines to run here also?

Dale
boosted

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you there about what is being right for the sport. The natural progression is with the LSX as many of the patrs and acc are interchangable. It also does keep costs to a minimum so racers can spend more time racing/tuning as appossed scraping money together for the big jump to the A spec engine.
As for a 40,000 lsx the same rules can apply that are there for cx and fx. A sealing program is also an option if needed.

If we did not have FX and CX classes we would not actually be holding races as most origanol A,B,C, and unlimited guys have all stopped racing or are onto other things. We were down to having a hard time getting 3 boats in any of the classes before fx came along. The time of the racing for only the good ol boys has passed. The guys coming racing are younger and some do not have the diposable income that others have. (unfortionataly I fall into the ol boy place mostly just old). lol. If they are forced to stay in FX and cx only, the numbers of racer will decline.

I would love to hear from some FX and cx guys on this as it really has alot to do with them.

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong...I love the idea of a proven reliable Louie motor pushing 120mph. All I'm saying is dollar for dollar I think a New A spec tunnel would cost 10-15k more than a new LSX if you went that way. I know many would not walk into OE and drop 80-90k....but it puts it into perspective.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will also be a huge test for the A spec in Oct....if it will finish a marathon, it will say a lot for reliability and its future.
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back B class for the LSX and the old 366's, then put the A-spec in with 470's in A class, just an idea I heard over beer and wings
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSX and A-Spec defiantly do not belong in the same class, the original idea of running them together was a trial and experiment, now that there is a year under our belt and A class has been revitalized, I am concerned where the A-Spec will be placed in the worlds in 2015

I can see more guys coming up from CX class wanting to get to the 120 mph mark with the A-Spec, rather than 115 with the LSX when they are going 108 now, (just saying)
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsworthit wrote:
LSX and A-Spec defiantly do not belong in the same class, the original idea of running them together was a trial and experiment, now that there is a year under our belt and A class has been revitalized, I am concerned where the A-Spec will be placed in the worlds in 2015

I can see more guys coming up from CX class wanting to get to the 120 mph mark with the A-Spec, rather than 115 with the LSX when they are going 108 now, (just saying)

Some good points. Ikinda like that idea of running the lsx with the old B engines.

Do you really think alot of CX guys would spend teh extra $ to go to A spec.

Cx class to lsx is a matter of buying the engine and an intake manifold, and a crank adapter, possibly an oil pan if they don't have one already. Everthing else interchanges. So they would be looking at less than 12,000.00.
A-spec they are looking well over 30,000 plus a complete rerigging of there boat setup as far as mounts,oil cooler, charging system, ignition system,etc. My guess is that they are going to be getting closer to 40,000 to get that 120 mph. Plus I am sure with your hull tuning magic you could get an lsx to 120 mph. lol

shallowman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: motors Reply with quote

u made me laugh Mark , u meant with your hull tuning experience ,u can get a lsx to 120 mph,, well i know how fast u go and it right up there , a-spec guys can always see u just behind them and most times infront on a top end pull

your boat rocks my friend
Cool

photo-1.PNG
 Description:
Mark and Spencer
 Filesize:  229.62 KB
 Viewed:  21417 Time(s)

photo-1.PNG

cx_crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Mark more cx guys are talking LSX the A class. than the spec engine
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsworthit wrote:
Bring back B class for the LSX and the old 366's, then put the A-spec in with 470's in A class, just an idea I heard over beer and wings

Our average cost to run a high strung A or B motor was $2,000+/- per hour of run time and that was without any major failures. This included fuel @ $900/hr, yearly refresh by engine shop of $12,000. We would burn 8 barrels of race fuel with minimal testing as we were worried about wearing out the motor. I really can't imagine anyone wanting to return to these expensive and unreliable custom motors.

Yearly cost to run a Custom motor ASSUMING no major failures
8 barrels of Race Fuel - $7,000
yearly rebuild/refresh by engine shop - $12,000
Total yearly expense - $19,000
10 hrs per season on motor = $1900/hr

Yearly cost to run Crate motor CX or LSX with extra time for testing, so total minimum 15 hours/yr
10+ barrels of av gas = $4,000 +/-
depreciation of engine = $2,000 +/-/yr
total yearly expense = $6,000/yr
15 hrs per year hourly expense = $800/hr

So, even if you already have an A or B motor (which I still have 2) who's going to spend $1,900/hr to race a high strung and unreliable A or B engine when you can spend $800/hr to run a far more reliable crate motor?

Also, another option which doesn't work is detuning either the A or B motors to make them more reliable, however that will make them uncompetitive. The best case scenario would be to stroke the B motors into 434 ci so they put out similar hp to the LSX motor, BUT that would cost you almost the same (new rotating assembly, cam, push rods, machine work, labor, etc) as buying a new LSX.

With GM now producing these high hp crate motors, its simply not possible for a custom engine builder to be able to compete against the resources (multi million $$) that GM has (engineers, spintrons, computer simulation programs, etc) to science out an engine combination that will last. GM has to engineer their engine's to last for 200,000 km. When your producing hundreds of thousands of engines/yr, you can't afford to do it wrong.

Last edited by MISSBHAVEN on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
I think the most important thing we have to do when we are changing rules is to make the changes to be “what is right for the sport”. Meaning that we should not make a change to be what is best for racing in Canada or what is best for me.

I couldn't agree more!!

Dale wrote:
That being said my thought a year ago was to save A class form the chopping block of the UIM and the Canadian series. A class still has a great future in this sport but I don’t believe it will be at the original 470CID.

I believe that the LSX engine proved itself this year as an economical, reliable and competitive engine that fits perfect into an already existing "A" Class. The failures that we did see were no fault of the engine, they were crew related because of overly aggressive tuning errors.

Dale wrote:
This engine size was picked some 30+ years ago when the only engine block we could build off was the GM454 or the 460 ford. Those days are long gone and so is the need to keep this class this size. Also if we leave the 470CID size in place I can guarantee that we will have $40,000+ LSX motors racing in that class and we have not changed or improved anything.

Someone may spend $40,000 on an LSX engine and kick everyone elses stock crate motors, but won't it be a hollow victory for that person? No one respects a racer who can only win with his wallet, instead of hard work, blood sweat and tears (literally lol).

I would also like to see the LSX class eventually become another sealed engine to keep competition fair. I'm currently researching different ways to seal an engine (including working with GM on a "Field installable seal like what is currently on the CT motors) that is relatively cheat proof (as mentioned before, its not possible to stop a determined cheater, my aim is only to keep the honest guys honest, which is 99% of us)

Dale wrote:
As Mark stated “hefty price tag that does not work for my racing budget” I would like to remind him that this engine is still $10-15,000 less than the old Unlimited engines and $15-3?,000 less than some of the A class engines that are out there at this time. Which would put it right where an “A” class team should be budgeting? I do believe that to keep CX class alive and well there should be a sizable step up to the next class. Also the Step up is speed has to be sizable.

From my experience and through discussions with many other racers, I feel that a 10 mph increase in top speed doubles the sensation of speed. And thats why I think that the current average 10+/- speed increase between the FX (85-95 mph), CX (100-108 mph) and LSX (105-115 mph) classes work so well. It's the perfect stepping stone for racers to go to the next level without progressing too far, too fast. Too big a jump between classes as in CX to Spec A, which would be about 15-20 mph, would be too much too fast except for only the most experienced racers with 10+ years experience.

From my past experience running custom engines, I don't think your average "Crate engine" racer realizes how high maintenance and expensive they are to race. The numbers may look "ok" on paper but custom engines are far more prone to costly failures and require 2-3 times more maintenance at the end of each race day. I believe that the majority of our racers have an average "Alberta" income and won't last long if their yearly racing budget has to double when they move up from CX to Spec A.

FYI -the finishing rate in the 2011 Worlds were as follows,
Custom engines - U, A, B - 42% finished the marathon
Crate Motors - CX and FX - 74% finished the marathon

Dale wrote:
And a $15-20,000 increase in “cost TO race” between classes isn’t bad. There is still a $50,000 step to get into a turbine boat after “A Spec” class. We have seen a big drop in FX racers this year because of the small increase in cost to step up and race a CX boat. Dale

A $15,000 - $20,000 increase to the next class is only going to be affordable to a very small fraction of current racers that have LARGE racing budgets. A $3,000-$5,000 increase from CX to LSX is much more affordable to a much larger majority of our racers. I believe that it is this small increa$e to "graduate" to the next level/class that people find so attractive with the LSX. This is why LSX is the perfect next class to graduate up from CX,
- only incremental cost increase $5,000 +/- max
- a challenging but manageable increase in speed and level of competition
- same high reliability and low cost to run
- available through any dealership in North America - Our friends in Mexico and NZ are currently ordering the Sealed CX motors from GM Dealers in the US just as easy as we would.

Dale wrote:
“Cost OF racing” has to be about the same from A-spec to LSX454 as they seem to be about the same to repair, other than if you have MAJOR damage to your engine. Most likely the A-Spec motors burning Av-gas would be cheaper than pumping the good stuff into the LSX. Dale

Cost of racing is far less with the LSX, based on the assumption that the engine will last the same length of time as the average well cared for CX motor of 2 years, then you can sell your 2 year old LSX motor for $5,000 and buy a whole new motor for $11,000, so $3,000/year in depreciation/operating costs. Now, making the same assumption that the Spec A motor lasts 2 years between refreshens which will run about $12,000 min as your engine builder will want you to replace every component in the engine. thats $6,000/year or twice as much as the LSX. Also, the LSX burns Avgas, same as the Spec A engine

Dale wrote:
I don’t believe that the UIM class makers could be talked into going to the “A spec” style engine, but for Canadian races this is the best way to control the cost, “tech inspecting”, and to keep the power levels the same and the racing tight. As for the UIM class change I thing we could spec a change to the CID with a MAX carburetor size and intake height, leaving the rest open, would be a good place to start? And MAYBE a chance to the “forced Induction Multiplication factor” to allow up to the LSX 376 engines to run here also?

I also don't believe that the UIM will make a separate class for the Spec A, so it will have to only be a national class and will be forced to run unlimited at any UIM Worlds event

Itsworthit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another idea, (beers talking again), what the hell do we need the UIM for?? Why can't we just have races ourselves, like one old racer says, do it and they will come! We can have our own rules, and he the UIM book as a guideline, but if we find something that works, we can just do it, while respecting input from other countries.
Just for the record, I believe that there is a place in racing for both the LSX and the A-Spec, this whole conversation is not about the 2 motor competing against each other or being in favor of one and not the other. The experiment and trial this year worked out really well and now we have the issue of deciding what to do with the outcome.
I agree we can't keep making up classes every two or three years, but if something is popular like both of these motors, shouldn't the executive try to fit them in competitively
What happens to racers when they have gone the 115 mph with the LSX? There should be somewhere to go rather than a turbine
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Jesse's idea I read yesterday, but it will open up the whole 'U' thing again. I think this year we had a record 6 Turbines in one race. UNREAL! I honestly don't think a 'U' piston boat has shot against those things as long as they stay together....

'U' TURBINE..... 140MPH
'U' PISTON.... 120+MPH
'LSX' 454..... 115MPH
'CX' 525...105MPH
'FX' ZZ4....90MPH

This will allow everyone to utilize the engines they have laying around with whatever goes in 'U' Piston. If the A-spec holds together in NZ in Unlimited Dale has a good shot with his driving skills against the 4 Turbines. I heard this makes more power than his last 'U' engine did and reliability should be there. Time will tell, just thought I'd add some more fuel on the fire Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: