OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sport jet pump mods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryandh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Sport jet pump mods Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with pump upgrades. Stainless stator inserts or nozzle changes? Ex welding offers a few options and so does maverick water sports. Any suggestions. Success?

http://maverickwatersports.com/SportJet.html

http://www.exwelding.ca/Default.aspx?PageID=20
hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from uhmw liners there junk run gravel threw it for a day and its fked stay with stainless all the way no matter what u are rebuilding lasts way longer and is way stronger you won't be sorry .
On-Track

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the coated setup will works good running in deep water. I don't think the coating and the vain clips will stand up when running extreme shallow waters pushing gravel through the pump. Same as using a UHMW wear ring liner instead of stainless steel.

boosted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmw actually works great in everything except shale rock. In silty water it is the best. The surface looks rough pretty quick and some people mistakenly think it is worn out but unless the clearances are loose it's still good.
I do s.s, carbon steel and UHMW and they all have there merrits
Shallow an on here has run them alot

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
shallowman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: UHMW wear ring Reply with quote

I have run the uhmw wear rings in sport jet pumps now for many years , they work fantastic , you can ruin anything and any pump if you put enought crap thru. them if u are running gravel thru. your pump that much u might want to buy a quad,
outboard jets work 90 % better then Aluim. ones and last so much better , as far as sport jet pumps i have sold over 1500 and only two came back ,and i don't think there are many people harder on pumps then me we i have been testing , in most cases it is the impeller that wears out ,
I hold the patent on these UHMW wear rings and have 100 of hours of testing

Laughing Laughing
hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 1500 hours of testing since the first sport jet was put in a boat at outlaw in salt water deep waterlakes deep rivers and have tortured these pumps on the upper red for years and will continue to do so for years to come theres no way your going to talk me into a uhmw any where but on the bottom of my boats.stainless liners are still the best no question .I drive my boats till I run out of water and take my quad from there.
ryandh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions on stator and nozzles? My stator is pretty beat up I was going to have it built up. The stainless sabre teeth don't look like as good of an option as the insert that ex welding machines in but that's another $850....
RPM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as the SS stator goes , my opinion for $80.00 you can get a welded repair done every year for years before you've spent as much as the SS insert . with SS I don't like the idea if a rock was to get through your grill large enough to get wedged between impeller and stator vane whats going to give now ??? you can make it home with a bite out of your alum. stator , your not getting home with an input shaft snapped off at the spline !
DIGGINSWEATINSWEARIN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what kind of performance loss you get with a banged up stator?
Like this for instance

stator .jpg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.94 KB
 Viewed:  68583 Time(s)

stator .jpg.JPG

RPM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be past do for a tune-up Shocked I'd say once your down a 1/4 " or so or it gets chunked .
shallowman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: uhmw Reply with quote

So a question for u there Hamilton , why would you put UHMW on the bottom of your boat ,

is it because it slides over rocks better , my point exactly on UHMW wear rings , lol,lol rocks slides thru, it better also ,
hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock housing is cast aluminum why do they wear out? Is it because to much foreign material is being put threw the pump on a an anual basis.This material is abrasive why would you replace an insert in a housing that is softer than the stock housing?What is easier to change an impeller or a housing? Nothing against your product but I have been there bought the T shirt . I 'm talking about longevity stainless liners hold up way longer . If uhmw was the best liner for a sportjet pump housing mercury would have designed it that way from the start.Next time you have your shot gun out to go bird hunting stand up a sheet of uhmw with a sheet of stainless beside it take a crack at both of them you get my drift.When I'm sliding gravel bars with my boat it is not going past my uhmw at 4000 rpm and contained in a housing.Thanks for the comments shallowman but your product is just not for me!!! Maybe some day we could park side by side with brand new liners and impellers mine stainless and yours uhmw put the bows up against a log or a bank and pump gravel for 5 minutes at wot then pull the pumps down to check tolerances on housings and impellers!!!
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that would be cool and I can tell you that the UHMW would win.There is a reason that thery use UHMW in gravel shoots and not stainless. I just lasts longer period. I will definately give that the sharp shale rock will cut the UHMW and not the stainless but with pea gravel and silt the UHMW will way outlast the stainless. Another thing is that with UHMw you can run down to about .003 clearence(only because any tighter it wouldn't turn from being pulled out of round by the bolts). S.S the closest I have ever seen is .015 and I would be very scared of it picking up(to simular of materials) Mercury uses aluminum for there wear surface as the pump is actually designed for water not gravel. Us jet boaters are the ones pushing it.
In a nut shell UHMW will out perform and last longer in clean,silty or round gravel rivers. S.S will last way longer in shale rock and rivers with alot of sticks, roots etc. High carbon steel will last pretty close to stainless with the same type of performance and tend to be a little easier to manufacture. The only reason I know all this is because I biuld them all and have feedback from multiple users in every category.

So it is really up to the person doing it on which direction you go.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
RPM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like hamiltons torture test idea Wink I'd supply the ss liner and a rebuilt impeller . plastic has some amazing ability to resist abrasion while the hard parts wear , but when the plastic reaches it's limits of what it can take it loses real bad . shallowman I call BS on your 1500 uhmw liners done and only two came back , unless they both came to me afterward .
wrivrdawg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: SJ Mods. Reply with quote

Hey Shallowman, still making the rings eh? Good stuff, still very happy with mine. I have over 600 hrs. on mine and it's still in good shape, going to change out the Impeller and Stator this year. The Impeller doesn't even look that bad, leading edges banged up a bit. I think I'll be back to close the same tolerances as when I put this together originally. Although I TRY not to pump a lot of gravel, it happens. It's mostly very silty water up here(FT. Mac.) but I have been around, have been on rivers in BC, central AB and MB. Anyways, that's my experience with it and keep up the good work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: