OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

175 SJ in E5 is it enough?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirmike68

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: 175 SJ in E5 is it enough? Reply with quote

Does anybody have any experience with a 175 Sport Jet in an E5 Sabre. I though they all came with 240 SJ. Is this enough motor for the boat or am I going to have that sinking feeling of being under powered. IS there a big difference between the 175 and 240. Any thoughts are appreciated.

THX
Gator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person who can tell you if you are underpowered is you, from what I have heard about the 175 is they are a good engine with plenty of power. The major difference between the 240 and 175 is 65 hp. I am not trying to be a smarty but those are the basic facts. If it came with a 175 then it is probably more than ample. My boat weighs in at 1175 dry and has 80 horses at the jet, wanna trade hp. I do everything I want with mine!! Because I have a obj there are things I can do with mine that you cannot do with yours, however the opposite is also true.

Gator
bonecracker

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read my post on more rpm for 175. You always need more power! Go 240 especially with a nice speedster like an Eagle. Just my opinion though.
Unsinkable 4

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetboats are wastefull on horsepower and I always try to error on more HP side Twisted Evil if you still have a choice of motors to pick from.
sirmike68

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input but the boat has a 175 already in it and it is going for a decent price. I have always liked the way the Sabre's looked and have been keeping my eye out for an E5 which seem not to be too common. I just don't want to be the guy in the awsome looking mustang with a v6. Although the 175 would probably suit my needs is there a huge difference between it and the 240, but then I guess 65 more horses is a big difference. Maybe a guy could upgrade later if he needed to.
sirmike68

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input but the boat has a 175 already in it and it is going for a decent price. I have always liked the way the Sabre's looked and have been keeping my eye out for an E5 which seem not to be too common. I just don't want to be the guy in the awsome looking mustang with a v6. Although the 175 would probably suit my needs is there a huge difference between it and the 240, but then I guess 65 more horses is a big difference. Maybe a guy could upgrade later if he needed to.
Kev-o

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that merc is no longer offering the 240hp sportjet, there is how ever the 200hp and 250hp optimax.
WCT E-5
Outlaw Eagle Mod

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirmike-my E-5 has the 240 & is a great boat-my best guess if you don't plan on loading the 175 too hard it would do just fine-just my opinion-if you would like to go out in mine to see how it goes , drop me a line Smile
Gator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading some of the posts and your responce and I have one more bit of food for thought for you, it may be a bit on the windy side but here goes. I looked for close to 20 years before I finally bought the boat I have and it fits all my needs beautifully. Over the years I have had several boats starting with my very first one that I paid $20 for and I was always looking for something better but $ was always a concern. I had talked to people and there thought was "oh yeah you need this one or that one" but they were not the ones doing the buying. I had ridden on the bigger boats and they were sweet and I was very confused for a couple of years. When I bought the boat I have I was just out looking and there it was and it had been on the lot for 30 minutes. Like you I had a certain boat in mind and I had found it. Nothing else really mattered and in the end I got what I wanted with a very fair price. True I am not as fast as the bigger boats but I don't care I can still cruise with the boats in my class, I have been is some really rough crappie weather and my boat did wonderful and handled every thing that was thrown at it. My father was a car salesman and he always told my to "order what I wanted and to BUY what I could afford". My boat is a 18' North River Mariner with a 115/80 Merc and a 8 hp Yamaha Big Foot on the end. I love it when people tell me my boat is sweet and especially when I know they don't have one and in side they are druleing because they would like to have one like it. I fish and play all I want and it fits in my shop so it doesn't stay out side and Weather up. In short if it fits then buy it and don't worry about what others think, take pride in what you have and let it show. There is always going to be a bigger mustang that comes to play. Yeah I look and dream and then walk away with a smile because I know I have what I want and others want it also. Hope this helps, I have been through what you are going through and I don't envy you at all. Good luck

Gator
sirmike68

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Oh well Reply with quote

Well I decided to go ahead and purchase the boat but to no avail. The owner decided he is going to keep the boat. I guess his asking price of 50% of what he paid for it finally made him think that it was not such a good idea after only 3 yrs of use. I guess I should have jumped on it as soon as he put it up for sale. My loss and his gain.
Gator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirmike

Don't feel bad man, if you did not get it there was a very good reason for it. Just before I bought the one I have a very similar thing happened to me and as it ended up I got 4 times the boat for less than a quarter more than what he was asking. Just consider you were not supposed to have THAT boat and yours is in the waiting just out of your sight.

Gator.
sirmike68

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess the owner had a change of heart because he called me today and went and took the boat off his hands. Now I'm finally part of the club!
Gator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats
sirmike68

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the boat out for the first time today in the river and had a great time. I am new to jet boats so it was a little different getting used to the "power to steer" thing but I quickly overcame that. My wife and 2 year old enjoyed themselves as well. The only thing that I think I did wrong was letting it idle on shore. When I took off the boat was slipping so I shut things down and restarted it and everything was fine. The only thing I can think of was there was a bunch of crap sucked on the intake grate and when I shut it down the loss of suction let it sluff off. Any pointers for a newbie would be appreciated. It would be nice to learn from your guys' mistakes before I experience them on my own. Wink
I know from my last boat which was an outboard that if you cranked it while at full speed you might end upside down. From what I have heard these jet boats can handle these types on maneuvers but I an hesitant to try having sunk my dads boat when I was 16.
JR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirmike68 wrote:
I took the boat out for the first time today in the river and had a great time. I am new to jet boats so it was a little different getting used to the "power to steer" thing but I quickly overcame that. My wife and 2 year old enjoyed themselves as well. The only thing that I think I did wrong was letting it idle on shore. When I took off the boat was slipping so I shut things down and restarted it and everything was fine. The only thing I can think of was there was a bunch of crap sucked on the intake grate and when I shut it down the loss of suction let it sluff off. Any pointers for a newbie would be appreciated. It would be nice to learn from your guys' mistakes before I experience them on my own. Wink
I know from my last boat which was an outboard that if you cranked it while at full speed you might end upside down. From what I have heard these jet boats can handle these types on maneuvers but I an hesitant to try having sunk my dads boat when I was 16.

You done the rite thing when your grill was full of stuff..
Small stones and other sticks and the like will make the unit slip.. Buy or make yourself a rake/Grill cleaner these help a lot. I will try to get a photo of mine and post it for you.. Cheers JR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: