OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHMW Wear Ring for Sportjets... WOW!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyerup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: UHMW Wear Ring for Sportjets... WOW!! Reply with quote

Shallowman supplied me with one of his Teflon (UHMW) wear rings for my LYNX 18 w/240 Sportjet last week.
All I can say is WOW!
It is a totally different boat now; it corners much better and it doesn't cavitate as often (if at all)... all this with the old style impeller. And that's with the whole family, cooler(s) and dog in the boat. Cutbank rapids were a piece of cake!
I would highly recommend Shallowman's patented design to others who are disappointed with their stainless wear rings. He has over 100 of these out there, many with hundreds of hrs or more, and no appreciable wear.
THANKS SHALLOWMAN!!
Taiga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that, have two boats with the UHMW wear rings with 240SJ's, would not use stainless again ever.
Taiga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that, have two boats with the UHMW wear rings with 240SJ's, would not use stainless again ever.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have them for out board jets too. You can basically pin a 200 hp out board from a stop and it will hold it. Plus they seem to last forever.
Jeteye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the cost and do you have a contact number? Please and thanks.
Jeteye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they hold up in silty water? What do they look like after pumping gravel?
allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the great thing they seem to make the biggest difference in silty water. Gravel too, the only place that we have seen any wear on them is in shale rock that is very sharp. The costs for the sportjet is $550.00 can and we need the pump housing and impeller. The cost for a sportjet with a worn out impeller that needs to be repaired is $900.00 can. The out board jet ones are $225.00 can they are over the counter pieces with the bolt flange type wear ring. You can contact Shallowman at 780-876-2244 or myself at 780-831-6873.
shallow draft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried the new Hi-scew impeller with the UHMW wear ring?
This would seam to me to be the "final solution" to the 240 SJ cavitation problems.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not done one yet. I think that the cost is a little of it being that the new impeller is quite expensive but I am sure it will come.
shallowman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: uhmw wear rings Reply with quote

Thanks for your response and I knew that you would like the plastic wear ring over the last three years of making them I have only replaced two of them for the sportjet and beleave me it was diver abuse on one and they were not all that bad either I know the one was ran out of water for at least one minute before the driver made it back to the boat and shut it down and the other was in real fine shale rocks and it had groves in the wear ring it still was better than stock but not the same as the norm.
If anyone would like to contact me please go thru. my e-mail as I can be out of cell range my address is norkar@telus.net
thanks again
Let'er Buck Twisted Evil
2jokejet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

why do they perform so much better?
is it because of a closer tolerance of impellor OD's than stainless?
do they perform same as s/s once the impellor OD's are worn?

do you make them for hamilton 750 ot 770 series units?

thanks
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is because the tolerance can be kept a lot closer. We have seen new impellers and housing's with only 15 hrs on them with .030 clearance. We have had some of ours with 200 hrs on them and only have worn to a .010 clearance. We do find also that because of the less slippage even at cruise they seem to slightly quieter also.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guess that I should answer the other questions. They perform better even when the OD is the same as a stainless. It is because of the way less slippage that you get. The reason that they corner better is because the pump can create more suction with the tight tolerances which holds the boat in the water better. We have done one for a Jackusi and it has worked great he is been running for 3 years now with very little wear but there is not to many of them around. We have even tried the with watercraft and it seems to work there also.
gary weaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: UHMW WEAR RINGS Reply with quote

I have used this in my fishing boat and love it here in the shallow western rivers. Would like to see the rules changed for the sj racing class. It adds about three miles per hour on my 08 boat but can only use it in awja races.

gw

allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really is that because it would be considered a pump modification? If so then a stainless insert would not be allowed either I guess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: