OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whitecourt to Jasper questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medhatken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Whitecourt to Jasper questions Reply with quote

A buddy and myself have been throwing around the idea of doing a trip from Whitecourt to maybe around Jasper area.
I'm thinking about bringing the wife and kids and was just wondering about a few things since I have never been on a trip like this before.
First of all when would the best time of the year be to do this trip?
What is the river as in depths and rapids and such?
We will be bringing extra fuel but is there places to re fuel our cans somewhere along the line?
I'm sure there are many of you that have done this so any advice or tips would be great.

I have an 20' Outlaw Nahanni with a 12 degree so I can't go as skinny as most, hence why I am wondering about depths at different times of the year.

P.S.
I'm a relatively a newbie if you guys haven't guessed that yet Very Happy
Toddco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: athaa b Reply with quote

Whitecourt to Hinton takes about 6-6.5 hours upstream. Hinton to the park boundary is another 1.3. If you have never been across Brule lake you best be paying attention as it can be difficult. The best time to go is after the May long weekend or watch the river flow charts to see when the lakes (Japser and Brule) fill up and then the river levels come way up and stay that way for most of the summer. At that time of the year there is lots of water and nothing that will really hurt you. Some of the rapids get to a class 4, but, are easily skirted. If you know someone in Hinton you can get fuel to the boat launch in town, if not that is a lot to carry with you or take a walk up the hill and hire a cab to haul it back for you. Going downstream you will be about 4.5 - 5 hours. these times are at travel speeds of around 40-50 kph. Lots to look at if you take the time to look around a bit. Definitely a trip that should be done over 2-3 days. There is a lot of good camping spots almost anywhere you look. There are some wall tent structures left up from hunters, a couple of cabins, etc.
medhatken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The rapids thing is what I would be most concerned about simply because the wife and kids would be with.
DOC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not allowed in the park with your boat. I wouldnt go past the sign at the park boundary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: