OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
show u one time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

we got an annoying sound in the boat, got a stainless imp. s.d 309 , I know at an idel the sonic wave is created and the noise is present, bump throttle up a bit and it goes away,, but,,,, now that sound is always there, full throttle, half , idel, makes no difference, think wear ring needs to be replaced? got about a quarter inch play up down,?? little over 35 thousand, clearance shoulder, any ideas? thnxs!!
Rivernut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same pump as you. From your observations it sounds like a front thrust bearing is on its way out. Removing some of the shimming will get the wear ring clearance back but the bearing will get worse and could cause bigger problems if not taken care of soon. By chance is there water leaking out of the weep-hole on the pump? It is located on the passenger side of the pump housing just below the grease fitting inside the transom. Water coming out of that hole would show that the ceramic seal is compromised and allowing water into the bearing, a common cause of bearing failure. It could be a bad universal joint too. Take off the grease UV joint access plate from the bell housing and watch for play in it as the impeller shaft is rotated back and forth. It should not have any rotational slack. Both of these scenarios require pulling the engine. Not hard to do with an engine hoist and tilter...just unfun and dirty. Parts are widely available.

Last edited by Rivernut on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
show u one time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: noise.. Reply with quote

thnxs rivernut, new bearing installed last year,, no weepin out of hole, new u joints beginning of season,fresh grease on all bearings start of season, had the engine out at start of season, had to do an intake gasket, and exhaust , so,,, I dunno??
Rivernut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds like something is wrong in your drivetrain. Why else would you have the excessive clearance at the wear ring? Do you chew through a lot of sand and gravel bars? Take that bell housing inspection plate off and check for rotational slack and forward and backwards play. If it is tight, try re-shimming the impeller to get it in spec. I forget how many thousandths. If the noise improves maybe you'll get off lucky with just that.

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all American turbine/Berkley /legend pumps with a Stainless impeller will have that rattle at idle and up to 15-1800RPM.

What is happening is as the engine idles it is accelerating and decelerating 4 times a second, once every time a spark plug fires. the splines between the driveshaft and the pump rattle. at 15-1800 RPM, pending on impeller size, the load on the impeller tightens up the play in the splines and the noise stops. having a heavy flywheel on the engine help with the acell-deceleration some. Same as having a light Aluminum impeller helps with the weight on the pump shaft to reduce the noise.

In your case you should never have more than .050" up and down movement at the impeller/wear ring, when the bowl is off. I would say your wear ring needs replacing and most likely your bowl bushings are screwed to. if you can move your pump shaft up or down at all with the bowl on, through the inspection hole then you have a problem. and if you have any front to back movement in the shaft then your front bearing is NFG. just because it was replaced doesn't mean it is still good.

Your front impeller to wear ring clearance should never be less than .025" (.015" in a race boat) but .050 with a aluminum impeller. so I don't think .035" is a problem.
show u one time

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

thnxs dale for the response,, just threw on a new wear ring today, got 35 thou, clearance,, test run tomorrow, hope it works out,, ill post results, thnxs again!
dutchie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this site for the knowledge one can get from it , I have the SD-309 pump and I get that lil vib and just touch it up some and it goes away as it should , nice to see its normal for that pump with stainless impeller

Looking forward to seeing how your test run went today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: