OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your take on each degree of boat bottom.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitecourtlife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: What's your take on each degree of boat bottom. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm finally in the market for a boat and have been looking aimlessly for a jetboat for yearly poker rallies and hunting and fishing. I have found a few that I like but am a bit curious on what people think a good boat degree for my application would be?

I found a few 14 degree boats that are nice but I'm not sure if that's too much for the Athabasca?

Thanks
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be too much in my opinion, there's generally enough water to run whatever you like in there. I choose a 12deg as a good handling and fairly skinnier runner. 8's I heard are real loose to steer and rougher on choppy waters(lakes). It's all on how shallow you want to run I guess....WC has a lot more channels then we do
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone else offer a opinion? This place is for helping other boaters out....
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my $.02 for what its worth.
Having owned a flat bottom OBJ, a 16ft eagle sport-delta and now an 18 degree boat. You certainly need to make sure you get the right boat for 80% of your usage. If you want to run really shallow and rocky rivers an 8 might be best. If the rivers are a bit deeper and have more a gravel base and you want a better handling boat get a 12-14. Part of my logic here is that gravel is forgiving where as rocks are not. Scrape some gravel no damage, scrape a rock and well we all know what happens.
I like 12 for an all purpose river boat.

good luck in your search

summersled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright here's my opinion. What's your budget? What are the deg of boats you will be boating with? If you buy a 14deg and all your buddies are 8 deg with uhmw it won't be long before you trade up to a 8deg...that's like a side by side trying to keep up to dirt bikes on a tight trail and can't go where off the trail where the bikes can go. Buy an Alberta or BC made boat, no US junk built for big whitewater, and no more then 12 deg, I agree they are the best all around boat, I know lots of guys that run them but they aren't a 8deg with UHMW. If you want a jetboat that works good on the lake don't buy one, buy a lake boat. Does an 8 deg slide? Yes and it makes it a blast to drive. It takes a good 100hrs to get comfortable with yourself and your boat on the river. Lots of guys don't buy the right boat the first time, I didn't. The river can be intimidating, dangerous place to play with your wife and kids, but at the same time be the only place you want to be so you want to own a boat you feel comfortable with and safe in no matter the circumstances. Ask yourself can my boat take a good hit? (cause it will happen) and will we be ok after that happens? Remember where you live and how awesome it is if you can own something that will let you explore your back yard no matter the water levels and not have to worry. 8 deg with UHMW is my vote, if you cant afford it then a good delta pad 12deg with QT100 is your next best option. Just remember If it doesn't say Outlaw, Firefish, Jetcraft, Bratt Jet, Harborcraft, Alicraft, Risley, Shuman or Wolfmade or even the old Marathon on it wasn't built to run our rivers. Good Luck.
Smoke Show

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the exact same situation as you a few years ago. Didn't know what to get. I ended up building a 10 degree. Pro: smoother than buddies 8's and 6's. Con: I can't slow down and slide like they can in shallow spots. I still think I got the right setup for what I do but next time I'd prob build an 8 just cause 80% of what I do is shallow. But then I'd hate an 8 at Shuswap so I dunno.. Good luck! haha
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need 3 boats.....
perpec

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Explorer 166 but it hates the 4' rollers the wake board boats seam to need to send across the lake. For the rivers in the west you cant beat the 8*.
riverboater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing the guessing game since my first boat in 1975. started with 4 degree that beat me up and slide to the point of no control in small rivers. then I went 8 degree steel bottom alum side that was a bit better but too long at 28ft to do what I wanted. then a 20ft 12 degree that was truly a good boat but the change bug bit me and it went away, next came a 18ft 18 degree with three lift strakes per side. took it to some truly skinny spots (no plastic on any of my boats) you just had to get on the speed and lay it on one side for the real shallow. long arcing curves back and forth if the shallow was any length. Next cam my little 14ftf with 24 degree and lift strakes. it will also go very shallow but you really need to be on the throttle. I still have it but also built another 16 ft step tunnel with 16 degree radius keel. no laying it on one side for shallow as if you turn the wheel it goes there immediately without any slide. Still at about 55 mph it will run in 3 inches with no issue. But for hunting in the fall low water it would be nice to have another 6 degree with plastic this time, built lite for go slow and pack a load. So I have accumulated the parts and aluminum, have made up the templates but just have not had the ambition or spare time to get at it. the plan was for last winter but at my age everything seems to slip by a bit faster than planned. Bottom line, a person needs about 4 jet boats to have it covered.

Miss Brandette 2.jpg
 Description:
1992 18ft alicraft 18degree 416 alloy small block chev, 752 Hamilton. 62mph
 Filesize:  56.19 KB
 Viewed:  27680 Time(s)

Miss Brandette 2.jpg

Miss Brandette 1.jpg
 Description:
1986 20ft alicraft 12 degree 5.7 olds diesel turbodrive three stage. 39mph
 Filesize:  48.77 KB

Miss Brandette 1.jpg

first boat.jpg
 Description:
1975 4 degree valco inboard 6 cyl ham 751. maybe 28mph
 Filesize:  54.07 KB

first boat.jpg

riverboater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any pic of the steel bottom that came along in 1981. That is a calf moose in the blue and white 20ft. found it in a log jamb and gave it a ride back to mumma that was standing on shore looking for it. not the smartest thing I have ever done. I remember what an old trapper taught me, keep the calf between you and the cow. that worked until I let go of the calf.

img405.jpg
 Description:
friendly little fellow, more than I can say about mumma when I dropped it off on shore.
 Filesize:  62.77 KB
 Viewed:  27679 Time(s)

img405.jpg

32 mph cruise.jpg
 Description:
2011 14ft 24 degree, 350 chev 772 Hamilton, 58 mph
 Filesize:  47.24 KB

32 mph cruise.jpg

first run.jpg
 Description:
2013 (about) 16ft steep tunnel, 350 chev 773 Hamilton, 58 mph wot.
 Filesize:  69.29 KB

first run.jpg

riverboater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet boats are a poor ocean boat so you need one of these as well. I leave it in Prince Rupert. for some reason the wife seems to think I have too many boats.

Restless @ wrangel AK.jpg
 Description:
1978 Californian, twin perkins sabers. (225hp) will do 20 knots but we always cruise at about 10.much better fuel economy
 Filesize:  54.28 KB
 Viewed:  27678 Time(s)

Restless @ wrangel AK.jpg

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha...too many boats

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.64 KB
 Viewed:  27672 Time(s)

image.jpeg

riverboater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken to building my own, wife never goes into shop so don't end up in the glue until it sees the light of day.
All things aside for degree choice for a new to jet boating type it is hard to beat 8 or 12 plastic and a sport jet. forgiving enough, easy enough to get off the rocks when mistakes are made, and will go anywhere once a little experience is gained. I have never owned a sport jet but have rode in several outlaw 16's with plastic and 200 opti's. will slip along very slow for newbies in tight water. Less vee packs a bigger load with the same hp as a bigger vee in the same boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: