OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWLY UPDATED: NEW USERS PLEASE READ before registering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: NEWLY UPDATED: NEW USERS PLEASE READ before registering Reply with quote

We have been making new attempts to keep the forum clean and clear of spam and unwanted posts by automated "bots" that attempt to register and post on random forums automatically. This can prove to be a very challenging thing as they get more and more sophisticated all the time.

Due to this issue the forum has now been set up so that every new user MUST be manually authorized by the moderator before anyone is allowed to post. I apologize if this may take a bit more time as there are considerable emails to sort through every day. It is also possible that your permission email can be "lost in the shuffle".

Please fill out your registration as fully as possible, especially the non standard questions like hobbies, interests and providing a "signature". We ask this to make it that much easier to recognize real registrants from bogus ones. Its not as easy as you'd think sometimes due to the sophistication of these annoying "bots".

***UPDATE*** I cannot stress enough how much easier it is if you fill out your profile as fully as possible. When I see blank profiles I am almost always lead to believe they are NOT legitimate users and am hesitant to give them posting authorization(I will always err on the side of caution in these cases and not authorize the account) I only have the information you provide to go by so please FILL OUT YOUR PROFILES when registering

DO NOT INCLUDE A WEBSITE ADDRESS ON YOUR PROFILE UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED TO POST! This is probably the easiest way for me to spot a bogus entry. Wait till I have authorized your account and add your web page later, thanks

If you are not authorized to post on the forum within 48 hrs of registering please email or contact us directly and we will remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation. This effort should help keep the forum cleaner and greatly limit unwanted and often offensive spam

Last edited by Xerophobic on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
Clark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to do the same on our board, took about 3 months to stop the problem, at one stage we were getting 5 or 6 new members per day which had to be deleted. Thankfully these bots must have found someone else to annoy and we are back to automated signup.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya Clark, may have to start picking ur brain about this stuff. Im sure you know alot more than I do!

Too bad we're not using the same format of BB or you'd know all the perfect tricks for me and my job would be easy!

Im sure we'll be in touch and I may even have more time to surf your forum a bit more. been a hectic time for me the past few months!

Cheers

Clark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xerophobic wrote:
heya Clark, may have to start picking ur brain about this stuff. Im sure you know alot more than I do!

Too bad we're not using the same format of BB or you'd know all the perfect tricks for me and my job would be easy!

Im sure we'll be in touch and I may even have more time to surf your forum a bit more. been a hectic time for me the past few months!

Cheers

Anytime, I'm on Skype so we could make a time to hook up if you want.

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Please note that the automatic registrations by "bots" to our forum has become particularly bad as of late. I am working on a permanent solution to this problem but in the meantime I am having a particularly hard time weeding through the real and fake users. Please let me know via email or phone if you have become "lost in the shuffle" and I can authorize your account asap.
It is a good time to remind you that putting in as much account info as possible makes your profile stick out that much more and is far easier for me to spot than blank profiles. It is especially useful to see detail in the "location" section i.e. put Red Deer, Alberta, Canada not just "Canada"
I can receive over 25 fake new users a day and these must be checked and deleted one at a time

Thanks for your patience and cooperation

Xero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: