OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid question time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Stupid question time Reply with quote

After noticing incredible amounts of heat coming off an open header equipped race engine, I was wondering about getting cooler air to the carb. The cool looking scoops that the drag race guys use may be the ticket, question is, how do they attach to your carb? Must not use a center bolt like a regular air cleaner, do they use a clamp ring or something? I was snapping center bolts for a time and don't want to use them any more as this is a nagging problem. Should I just get bolts that don't nag so much? Tried higher grades of bolt, same crapola, best so far has been rubber washer under the nut and lots of torque to hold it tight. Problem with this rig is that the chrome air cleaner lid now has stress cracks coming from the center hole outwards. It will have to be replaced by ice out. Any ideas?
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make scoop brackets. Go to

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_18033_-1_10355

A lot of guys in the States use scoops, however they don't have mass starts like us. We've thought about trying a scoop but are afraid it will scoop in too much water if we get caught in someones roost. Shocked
AR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to use all-thread for carb studs that is long enough to come up through the scoop pan. I use nylock nuts than aluminum tubing for the spacers and more nylocks to hold the pan.

Just for safety I leave the studs a little long and safety wire them. I only use four even with dual carbs, the very front two and the back two. I usually don't run an air cleaner, but a piece of 3/8 alu. rod running the length of the scoop pan held in with the center stud holding in place a piece of 1/4" screen just to catch any thing that may get sucked in.

You need to make a couple holes in the very back of the pan to let out the excess air coming in the scoop and it will also let any water blow through that may be taken in. The exit holes depends on the size of the intake opening and the cfms being used.

If you're not using all the air coming in than the scoop will have drag and try to rip itself off. Shocked Laughing Cool

sandman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info gentlemen, winter project time is upon us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: