OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beer can boating.....in Ontario!?!?!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Beer can boating.....in Ontario!?!?!?! Reply with quote

Just got back from a day out with the tunnel. I have to say this was probably the most fun I have had in a boat... ever. We decided to explore the Grand River in Southern Ontario. I know of this river from a video clip from Mark Nye'e site. You may have seen these as they show off his turbine powered Eagle boat. Anyway we launched at the place he told us about shown in the one video. We were told by the ramp attendants that you likely couldn't boat much past "the 2nd bridge' up the river. HAHA boy were they wrong! Its clearly going to be pretty funny around these parts asking people questions like that and telling them what capabilities my boat has. We went WAAAAAAAAY past the 2nd bridge! The tunnel did itself proud. I was pretty nervous the first time we hit gravel but after what we went thru am almost used to it now LOL
We hit bottom maybe 6 times and managed to get stuck twice lol
What a blast I am totally stoked about this adventure. Now I really know what this stuff ive been reading about is all about! Im hyper, must find more water like this in Ontario. I almost as speachless at how fun this was. We did forget beer which was a huuuge mistake cause pushing cna be tiring!

Cheers

p.s. anyone have a beatup used not so fancy stainless impeller lying around? I think I will soon need it lol

Stuck1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.39 KB
 Viewed:  29808 Time(s)

Stuck1.jpg

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been gesturing to the cameraman/"navigator"
LOL

Stuck3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.25 KB
 Viewed:  29806 Time(s)

Stuck3.jpg

Fritz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you in some shallow water Smile But mate here is some shallow water Laughing

index.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.27 KB
 Viewed:  29744 Time(s)

index.jpg

moods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fritz is right. That looks like a lake compared to what we boat in, in the South Island of NZ. Good going though, that would not be light boat. Just remember tho, If in doubt power out Very Happy
Cavefish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xerophobic, it is great to see you having so much fun with the new boat! Thanks for the pics and storys.
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X, it's great to see you enjoying your boat. I'm constantly amazed why there aren't any jet/river boaters out your way, you have lots of beautiful rivers to explore. You're in a unique situation where you may be the first person to boat up many of those rivers. I think that's pretty awsome. Have a great time, take lots of pictures and maybe you'll get more people interested in our sport out your way.

Miss B'

One footnote, your tunnel isn't designed for shallow water exploring, so be careful!
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definatly great to find some rivers that are a challenge. I doubt lake boating will ever be the same after Saturdays adventure.

I had been told the tunnel wasn't exactly ideal for this type of thing and logically would agree but I was amazed at how well it did. Im sure it will be even easier to power thru some spots when i get the 500 Hp into it.
Weight is a big issue too of course but hopefully I can be selective about what I will try. It appears the only part of the hull that touched was the rear 4-5 feet of the centerpod. The sponsons did not touch even on the QT-100 and of course its nice to know the boat also has the UHWM just in case

While yes it is very cool boating things that likely never have been I also have the thought in the back of my mind that there will not be anyone coming to the rescue with another boat lol Heck I only know 2 other people that have jets, one's glass and isn't working yet and the other is Mark Nye (I doubt that boat will be rescuing me anytime soon) LOL

Having a blast and really want to get a video cam going. The place we initially got stuck was alot worse than where we finally remmebered my buddy's cell could take pics and snapped the above shots(and these Kiwi's are hard to impress! ) If we could only get shots of the shocked anglers along shore!

I'll have the cam in the boat next time at the least and Im already looking for similar waters around to explore. There will likely be way more up north but its neat being able to do this less than a hour from Toronto

Cheers

mike.elmes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: grand river Reply with quote

I was born and raised on the banks of the Grand River, in Galt(Cambridge).....Beautiful river for a jet, no doubt. Where did you launch??
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to become familiar with the Grand really. I suppose thats why this trip was so satisfying we really were just exploring from scratch. We launched at one of the few places where the road shadows the banks slightly north of Caledonia. There is a dam a hair north of Caledonia which you may make it down but the return trip would be interesting! We launched at a park just north of there. The ramp/river can be seen on Mark Nye's site in the Squirt2 video section(www.nye.ca) There are a few clips on the Grand, where we were initially as well. I think we could make it to Brantford(we were within 1 'rapid' of it I think when we turned back but I am not sure we could make Paris which is the next town(buddies apartment overlooks the river off main street). North of Paris there is another dam unfortunatly. I'm already trying to plan another trip there, perhaps after a little rain and with a videographer/pusher lol I may remove the rear seats and put a single raised so he can video forward easily and make a swivel to get rear shots too. I'll have footage for Vince's next video if its the last thing I do!

Please give me any info you have of other parts of this river

Cheers

steelheadfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was born on the banks of the Grand in Waterloo. You should try to launch around there. Good water and you can scoot up the Conostogo river as well all the way to the lake dam. Give it a try. That or you could head up the Grand to Elora for some Brown Trout action. Might piss off the " I am Holyer thn thow" fly fishers though................lol
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you in some shallow water But mate here is some shallow water.Fritz never fails that its eather Shaun or Stoney who makes the skinny water photo shame it just goes to show Shaun has managed to pollute this site with his evil plan for World Domination.See NZJetboating I Blame Shaun thread!!
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha well rack up a little more experience of how "not" to run a river. We had another outing after work tonight, but it didn;t go so well lol
We tried the Credit river in Mississauga Ont tonight and got stiuck pretty good after about 2 minutes LOL I swear when you see these pics even the Kiwi's will be impressed!
It must have taken 2 hours to push it out and sadly by the time we got out it was a little close to dark to try to shoot it again. I'm pretty sure I can make it thru and want to badly as the river winds thru 2 golf courses after that LOL
I must admit this time I was dumb, not only forgot the beer but left the 2 2x4 push sticks I cut on my becnh at work AND didn't throw the mini winch I bought into the truck. I swear to god I am going to bolt that winch into the tunnel after this LOL
If my buddy gets hoime early enough he may send me the pics tonight, if not tomorrow.
Still had a blast even tho we went basically nowhere and spent waaaaaaaayyy too much time pushing. Mental note, next boat SMALL block! hehe The tunnels were dry for the majority of the push and we had to find some serious logs to push with. Was kinda shocked at how far back we had to go before we could get back on plane too, pretty much to where we started lol Boat seems fine
Cheers

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics are in, things happened so fast I'm not even sure what did happen. The river branched off in a few spots on the map we had so I was sorta hesitating as to if we were in the right flow. I guess I shot myself in the foot right there, hesitation BAD! lol

This is a little after we started pushin. I wasn't as happy about it maybe an hour later haha

Ummm Vern it says I've reached the max file size???

Clark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X... post the pics on nzjetboating.com before we hunt you down! Very Happy
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want any angry Kiwi's on my hands Shocked
lol

http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=5358.0

Cheers Clark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: